argus bivio bug when writing files?

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 26 15:31:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:58:03PM -0400, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Gentle people,
> We've got a bug report on Bivio, when argus is configured to write to a file.
> When the file is moved, argus doesn't appear to do the right thing, sometimes
> not recreating the file, or seeing zero length files.
>
> I have found a condition where argus may close and open the output file
> too often, but code inspection isn't revealing much.  I have a patch for the
> errant closing and opening condition, and that will be in the next release.
>
> Anyone else seeing problems when argus is configured to write to files,
> and you move the files periodically?
>
> Hope all is most excellent,
>
> Carter

	I'm still running 3.0.6 and clients-3.0.6.1 and using the archive
script to cycle files every hour (on a FreeBSD machine). I had a look at
the archive and it looks fine, files with data in them every hour for the
last week or so (as much as I looked at), no zero length files, none obviously
missing. I just downloaded argus-3.0.6.1 and clients-3.0.6.2 and I'll try
them out and see if anything changes.

Peter Van Epp