argus-3.0 status - looking much better

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jun 16 13:37:47 EDT 2006

Gentle people,
Argus-3.0 is getting close to being compilable on all supported
platforms
hopefully without warnings out of the box.   The next step will be to
validate
that we've got good 2.0 -> 3.0 backward compatibility, which so far,
looks
very good.   By compatibility, we should be able to read argus-2.0
data, and
we should get the same results, (with a few minor exceptions).

Currently, if you read 2.0 data and convert it to 3.0 format (which
all the
programs will do), you will get smaller files, as we are being much more
efficient with how we represent data structures and values.
Possibly up
to 20% reduction.

So far, all the clients should be working with both 2.0 and 3.0 data.
Of particular interest should be ratop() as there are huge improvements
on its function, etc....   ragraph() is also much better, and hopefully
some people, will run it  and give some comments.

Default behaviors should be the same, so if we need to change the
default printing behavior of ra* programs, or we need to change a
column width, or whatever, getting that addressed would be great.
All I need is a note saying this is inconsistent, etc.....

After this step, its on to documentation (which I'll start patching on
monday with the suggested man patches to date), especially
the documentation for the new programs, racluster() and rasplit().

Thanks for all the efforts, and looks like we're on our way to an
official release maybe in the next few weeks!!!!!!

Hope all is excellent,