Argus duser field stays blank

Karl Tatgenhorst karlt at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 10 10:59:35 EDT 2006

Carter,

   As I think more about my test results I am reminded of the old stand
up bit "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"... "Well, don't do that"

   In the course of testing Argus one thing we tried was giving the
listener interface an IP Address and then hitting it with a large amount
of ICMP. While the amount of ICMP is realistic to expect on our network,
it would not be like that. Argus tried to seperate each ICMP packet and
reply as a flow and adjust counters accordingly (we went into the
millions of packets) and CPU spiked wildly followed by a core dump. I
think it could be handled on your end with a "Don't do this" note :-)

   The other issue though, duser data is perplexing me and I will be
looking at it today.

Thanks,

Karl