Argus duser field stays blank

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 10 11:19:58 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:59:35AM -0500, Karl Tatgenhorst wrote:
> Carter,
>
>    As I think more about my test results I am reminded of the old stand
> up bit "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"... "Well, don't do that"
>
>    In the course of testing Argus one thing we tried was giving the
> listener interface an IP Address and then hitting it with a large amount
> of ICMP. While the amount of ICMP is realistic to expect on our network,
> it would not be like that. Argus tried to seperate each ICMP packet and
> reply as a flow and adjust counters accordingly (we went into the
> millions of packets) and CPU spiked wildly followed by a core dump. I
> think it could be handled on your end with a "Don't do this" note :-)
>
>    The other issue though, duser data is perplexing me and I will be
> looking at it today.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl

	Unfortunatly it doesn't do any good to tell an attacker "don't do this
because it hurts me" so we really do want to understand why large amounts of
icmp caused a segfault (it is supposed to drive argus in to collecting less
information about the flows but not crash it). The desirable (but perhaps not
achievable :-)) goal is to be able to keep up with line rate under all
circumstances (that gets difficult at OC192 speeds though).