[ARGUS] ra stops unexpectedly

slif at bellsouth.net slif at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 30 13:35:24 EDT 2004

> From: Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com>
> Date: 2004/09/30 Thu AM 11:38:09 EDT
> To: <slif at bellsouth.net>,
> 	Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca>,
> 	Argus <argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ARGUS] ra stops unexpectedly
>
> The problem is that if you aren't receiving MAR records,
> then the for argus is probably dead, and you won't receive
> anything ever again.

Why does the TCP protocol try so hard ?
In part because the authors realized there are so many
ways to make re-synchronizing painful and problematic.

Stopping when one "feels" a far end point is no longer connected
just doesn't seem right.  Sure I _can_ write yet another script
to monitor this program.  I would prefer to indicate more
that "Hey, I had to restart that process".  I would likely not
know the reason for the process terminating.  Without that
information, I will have more difficulty trying to apply
a remedy.

The solution that is localized to the problem is the easiest
to maintain.