[ARGUS] ra stops unexpectedly

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Sep 30 13:56:22 EDT 2004

Hey Mike,
Well, you are projecting your desire for a feature and building
a rather obtuse religious argument for its justification.  TCP
tries hard because that is its design, a reliable transport
protocol.  Why does UDP not try so hard?  Well that's its design.

If you want to understand why engineering reliability into
transports where its not needed is not necessarily a good thing,
look at the issues with using SCTP for non-reliable transport.
I think its unnecessary, expensive and sometimes unpredictable.

But the reality is simple.  If you want the clients to have a
persistent connection feature, then we should talk about it.

There are three specific reasons why its not there now.  The
first is that we want to have a simple, consistent failure model
for ra* clients.  Once you advertise that you're "reliable", you
get into some complex code to actually provide the feature.

Second,  all ra() clients can connect to multiple sources
simultaneously, which makes a simple persistent connection feature
pretty complicated (if one fails, do you shutdown all of them and
start over?).

The third is that its not clear that all clients should
persistently connect to a remote data source, so do we need
to put it into the general strategy?

None of this means we can't provide a "reconnect on failure"
feature, but what are we going to specify when you're connected
to 3 remote data sources?  How do we notify the specific client
that a source has been lost, or has not ever been connected?

Carter