new argus-clients beta.37 on server

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 9 23:23:41 EST 2003

Hey Andrew,
   It should be 38, but I messed up.  Since I hadn't actually
announced 37, can we just leave the new one as 37?  Sure
makes it easier.

   Indeed, it is just a client problem.  All the argus data
is fine, just clients selecting records based on time have
problems, and only since the New Year, and it should be pretty
rare.  Let me give you some background so you can evaluate
the impact.

   The -t option allows you to specify a complete time or a
partial time range.  The time range 01/03.12:00:00-12:01:00
which you were using, is a partial time range, since the year
is not specified.  The filter can match Jan 03, 12pm for any
year that is presented to the filter.  This is a good thing
if you want to compare a time range between days, months, etc...

   The bug was such that we would update the year field in
the comparison buffer only if the day of the month in the
current record was different from the day of the month in
the previous record (it should have been day of the year).
Because the first record in an argus stream is a management
record, and the startime in a management record is the time
when the probe was started, when we went from 2002 to 2003,
the management record and the data records would have
different years.  We would have a real problem if the probe
was started on the same day of the month as the timestamp
in the first data record in the file, but occurred in
different years.  As soon as a record arrived that was on
a different day of the month, things would clear up.

   So the answer is, this bug should have been an issue
only since the New Year.

Carter