new argus-clients beta.37 on server

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Fri Jan 10 00:03:49 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:23:41PM -0500, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
>    It should be 38, but I messed up.  Since I hadn't actually
> announced 37, can we just leave the new one as 37?  Sure
> makes it easier.

It buggers me up, because I have released a Debian package of 37 to the
world, and so all I can do is release another revision of that, but it's
really a new upstream release, not a Debian revision of existing upstream
release.

I'd like to package up the fixed version ASAP so I can use it, so if you
can make it 38, that would make everything okay.

>    Indeed, it is just a client problem.  All the argus data
> is fine, just clients selecting records based on time have
> problems, and only since the New Year, and it should be pretty
> rare.  Let me give you some background so you can evaluate
> the impact.
>
>    The -t option allows you to specify a complete time or a
> partial time range.  The time range 01/03.12:00:00-12:01:00
> which you were using, is a partial time range, since the year
> is not specified.  The filter can match Jan 03, 12pm for any
> year that is presented to the filter.  This is a good thing
> if you want to compare a time range between days, months, etc...
>
>    The bug was such that we would update the year field in
> the comparison buffer only if the day of the month in the
> current record was different from the day of the month in
> the previous record (it should have been day of the year).
> Because the first record in an argus stream is a management
> record, and the startime in a management record is the time
> when the probe was started, when we went from 2002 to 2003,
> the management record and the data records would have
> different years.  We would have a real problem if the probe
> was started on the same day of the month as the timestamp
> in the first data record in the file, but occurred in
> different years.  As soon as a record arrived that was on
> a different day of the month, things would clear up.
>
>    So the answer is, this bug should have been an issue
> only since the New Year.

Excellent, I'm not impacted terribly badly at all then.