argus-2.0.5.tar.gz available

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri May 3 12:28:04 EDT 2002

Hey Harald,
   Thanks for the e-mail.  Yes, there is a problem with RedHat
out of the box, as they don't distribute pcap-int.h.  I'm sure
that someone thinks that programs shouldn't rely on internal
structs, but the fact is that some routines in the libpcap
return references to 'struct pcap', a struct that has some
data that argus uses.  Unfortunately, this struct is defined
in pcap-int.h.

We use to distribute pcap-int.h in the argus
distribution, but the RedHat version, the argus version and
the current libpcap version of pcap-int.h were all different,
which was causing segmentation faults in argus on some
platforms.

   The gencode.c is actually much different from libpcap's.
We use the libpcap filter compiler that is in the libpcap
library to do the packet filtering for argus, but
we have our own filter compiler for argus to filter argus
records on output, which is a much different beast all together.
Since the syntax is similar, I just borrowed gencode.c and
started from there.

   The INSTALL file is pretty specific about the dependencies,
but I don't make a specific point about RedHat.  Maybe I should?

   Hmmmm, is there a problem with putting the docs in
/usr/share/doc?  That is the standard place, isn't it?
Would you rather it go to /home/argus/doc, /home/argus/share/doc?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com