racount and src/dst byte counts

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Sep 25 15:48:07 EDT 2001

Hey Desmond,
   Remember, argus is a flow monitor, so everything it
does is on a flow basis.  This really holds true for
the src and dst determinations.  Who is the source of
this TCP connection, or this DNS transaction, or this
multicast stream.  By removing the relative aspects
of source and dst, you get two Argus's, no matter
where they are placed, generating the same results,
which is really important.

   Argus bases its determination of source on a pretty
simple strategy. The source for TCP traffic is who
initiated the TCP connection, who sent the SYN, or
who received the SYN_ACK.  For other IP traffic, its
who sent the first packet (with some boundary restrictions).
There are some issues with this strategy, and as a
result, if you look at ra() output, you'll sometimes see
a '?' in the direction indicator, telling us that argus
doesn't know who the source is, but this is its best
guess.

   So the source is who initiated the flow.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com