racount and src/dst byte counts

Desmond Irvine desmond.irvine at sheridanc.on.ca
Wed Sep 26 11:45:36 EDT 2001

How does racount decide which side (src or dst) to add the bytes to?
The transaction I was looking at was from what I suspect is some sort
of peer to peer file sharing tool.  ra listed a bunch of connections
of the form:

25 Sep 01 13:59:07    tcp  199.212.cc.dd.32862  ->    142.55.aa.bb.6891  EST

>From this I would assume the flow was from the external machine to the
local machine so I expected racount for the local machine to show the
larger amount of bytes on the dst side and the external machine to show
it on the src side.  Regardless of what racount considered src and dst
I expect only one machine to be considered the dst; racount showing both
on the dst side doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Oakville, ON  L6H 2L1         EMail: desmond.irvine at sheridanc.on.ca