Argus, libpcap and ppp.

Yotam Rubin yotam at makif.omer.k12.il
Wed Nov 7 13:59:37 EST 2001

Greetings,

	I recently received a bug report against argus indicating that argus
does not handle ppp. Evidently, pcap_datalink() in ArgusInitSource() returns
DLT_RAW even when handling a ppp interface. DLT_RAW is not supported, thus
causing argus to exit. I confirmed this libpcap behavior outside argus.
I'm using Debian's libpcap 0.6.2. I want to discuss the problem here prior
to migrating the discussion to some libpcap related mailing list.
Any ideas? BTW, the problem can be worked around by exchanging DLT_RAW's
and DLT_PPP values in include/net/bpf.h, provided that you do not recompile
libpcap using the modified header files. Am I doing something wrong or what?

	Regards, Yotam Rubin