argus-2.0.4.beta.2 available

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Nov 5 13:39:47 EST 2001

Gentle people,
  ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus-2.0/argus-2.0.4.beta.2.tar.gz
is available.  I had to make some serious changes to argus
in this test release due to some issues that have come up.
The result is that we need to test argus-2.0.4 for basic
./configure support and makability.

  Sorry for the major change, but it will in the long run
be very helpful to have configure.in support in the basic
argus distribution.

   If we can get the decision on the LARGEFILE support,
then I can get that in to this release as well.

Thanks for all the help!!!

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com
Phone +1 212 588-9133
Fax   +1 212 588-9134
http://qosient.com

argus-2.0.4.beta.2 changes summarized:

   Make changes mentioned on the list for dport values.
      This is not the major issue.

   Adopt argus-clients configure.in strategy.
      This is a somewhat long, but important story, so
      I'll try to make it very brief.

      It seems that the tcp_wrappers support that we have
      has not been turned on properly for many default
      systems.  The way that argus used to get tcp_wrappers
      to work, was for it to include tcpd.h from the wrappers
      distribution, where the system preferences HOSTS_ACCESS,
      FIX_IP_OPTIONS and PARANOID were #defined. This
      strategy no longer works.  As a result, argus, out
      of the box, with default tcp_wrappers support turned
      on, can report access but not perform any host access
      control.  NOT GOOD.

      Ok, when we supply the defines ourselves, by defining
      HOST_ACCESS in ArgusOutput.c, well here come the problems
      when using system supplied tcp_wrapper libraries.
      On RedHat, as an example, the libwrap.a has a dependency
      for the NIS libraries, and that of course requires a
      ./configure change that is not as straight forward as
      one would like, so to handle the new configure issues,
      we adopted the argus-clients configure.in strategy.
      Adopting this strategy, of course breaks a few
      things, like client only compiles when libpcap is
      not available.  Without this, the straight argus
      distribution is not portable to CYGWIN.

      The argus-clients distribution is CYGWINable, hopefully
      making the above problem not a major issue, but I'm
      sure other things will come up, so we'll need to
      test this on all the platforms to make sure that its
      doing the right thing.

   Fix tcp_wrappers support.
      Defined HOST_ACCESS in ArgusOutput.c to turn on host
      access control for tcp_wrappers, when it is found in
      the system.  Because this is a change in behavior, some
      installations may have problems with this, so we'll
      need to test this.