Argus-2.0 paths and installation targets

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 18 09:06:51 EST 2001

Hey Russell,
   Anything is reasonable.  If we are trying to build
convention, the more tools in the package that are doing
the same thing, the more likely we can establish
convention.

   Chas and I were having the same conversation yesterday,
and getting a grip on our filesystem convention would be
a really good thing.  The conventions that we've all
mentioned so far are:

   $ARGUSHOME       Root for all argus things
   $ARGUSHOME/bin   Scripts
   $ARGUSHOME/lib   Configuration modules
   $ARGUSDATA       Argus data directory ($ARGUSHOME/data)
   $ARGUSARCHIVE    Scripts and Perl modules manage
                      historical files here.  $ARGUSDATA/archive

   $ARGUSPATH         Used to specify .*rc file search path.
                      Will always look in $ARGUSHOME/ra.conf first
                      then .rarc in $ARGUSHOME:$HOME.

   /etc/argus.conf    argus daemon configuration file
   /var/run           PID file

Installation directory defaults?
   $ARGUSHOME               /usr/argus
   /usr/argus               Package default directory
   $ARGUSDATA               /usr/argus/data
   $ARGUSARCHIVE            /usr/argus/data/archive
   /usr/argus/bin           Gets argus, argusbug, ra*
   /usr/argus/lib           Gets argus_common.a, argus_parse.a

   /etc/argus.conf          Gets sample ./examples/Config/argus.conf
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/argus   Gets sample ./examples/Startup/argus
   $ARGUSHOME/ra.conf       Gets sample ./examples/Config/ra.conf

Anything else?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022