FreeBSD problems (or I am terribly clueless)

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 18 08:58:08 EST 2001

Hey Borja,
   If the argus.log file is growing then there is
data to be read ;o)

Three things to try.

First is make sure that the ra that you are using
is ra-2.0.  Just run ra -h and see what version
it reports.  ra-1.8 cannot read argus-2.0 data.

Second turn off name lookups with -n.  The delay in
looking up a name may be getting in the way.

   ra -nr argus.log

Third is that argus.log may need to removed so
that argus can write a clean output log.  There
may be a situation where argus is writing into
a Argus-1.8 data file.  The two header formats
are not compatible, so ra may have trouble with
that.  With still argus running just:

   mv argus.log testfile

Argus will recreate argus.log when new data is
ready to be written.  When the argus.log reappears,
then try to read from it.

Hope this helps, if you are still having problems
with the new argus.log file, send a copy to me and
I'll debug the problem.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022