RPM issues.

Yotam Rubin yotam at makif.omer.k12.il
Sun Feb 18 08:52:53 EST 2001

Hello,

I wish to address some issues regarding the RPM package of argus 2.0.0.beta.5.

 * It might be wise to split the package into two different packages:
   argus-server and argus-client. The reason for this is that a user
   may wish to run the argus server on one machine and analyze the auditing
   information on another.

 * It's hideously inconsistent with the FHS. Section 4 of the FHS clearly
   describes the hierarchy under /usr; Obviously, the argus directory is
   not included.

   - Move the binaries to /usr/sbin
   - Move the man pages to /usr/share/man
   - Move the documentation to either /usr/doc/argus or /usr/share/doc/argus
   - The output should probably be stored in /var/log/argus. There's no need
     to pollute with data/

Carter, would you like to upload my Debian packages to argus' public FTP
archive? I have prepared packages for the most recent version of argus.

    Regards, Yotam Rubin

P.S.: Attached to this letter is the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard version
      pre-2.1.