argus server and client distribution packages

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Feb 7 10:45:45 EST 2001

Hey Borja,
   Yes they are tightly coupled, but there are some reasons to
think of them as separate.

   Hopefully, and that is a hopefully, argus, the server, will
not change much once its released and settled down.  Other than
bug fixes, I'm not planning on adding much, maybe 1-2
mini releases this year.  So, the argus server should be rather
stable.  This is on purpose, so we can get some buy in on
the data, and get support for porting the core server to other
platforms, and possibly integrate it into a few kernels.

   Argus clients should multiply this year, I hope, at a pretty
good pace.  I'm planning on developing a number of analytic
programs and a Perl Argus Module, myself, and I'm hoping that
everyone will be moved to contribute all of their argus clients.
So, the argus client side should be pretty active.  DB clients,
archiving agents, data multiplexors, better aggregators, port
scanners, NMS agents, snort integration, all of these can be
considered as clients, working off of a common data set.

   I don't have any problem with having each a separate package,
but I'm not excited about the other extreme, which would be to
bundle them all into one package that is released when something
gets updated.

   I can see distributing argus-2.0.0 as a single package, and
splitting them later.  I guess the real question is, "Should we
bite the bullet now"?

What do you think?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K