Stats from argus logs

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sat Nov 4 09:21:35 EST 2000

Hey John,
   Yes, I can reproduce your problem here.  It must
be one of the undocumented new features of the "u" code.
It is fixed in the "v" release which I'll be putting out
on Sunday.

   Argus-2.0 does store more information than Argus-1.x
records, and so converted files will be bigger.
This happens because we've introduced a Type, Length,
Value (TLV) style record format, and the added overhead
adds bytes.  But we get a huge amount of flexibility
with it so it's worth the extra space.

   It seems that you have bumped into a functional bug
in the argus clients that most on the list don't run
into.   When you run argus (and this also applies to
some of the clients), and write the output to a file,
when you terminate, the program will write an explicit
STOP record as the last record, indicating that the
stream was terminated because of an administrative
STOP condition (i.e. it was killed).  If you
run argus (or some ra* clients) again, writing into the
same file, it just appends, and so you get a file that
looks something like this:

   START record
      ..... (data records)
   STOP record
   START record
      ..... (data records)
   STOP record

ra* style clients, right now, stop when they see a STOP
record.  This is so they can handshake with socket based
remote argus data sources before closing the socket and
going away.  Right now, we don't test if we're reading
from the socket or a file when we get these records, so
there is chance where we will terminate too early.

I'll fix that this weekend.

Carter