Stats from argus logs

John A. Lauro jlauro at umich.edu
Fri Nov 3 16:31:20 EST 2000

>    Well, welcome to the group!!!  So how did you call it?
> There are some small changes in the way that things are
> called in Argus-2.0, so exact command line would be helpful.
> Were you reading 2.0 data or 1.8 data?  What system?

Asking for the memory fault I assume?
The system is running Linux 2.2.16.

Same memory fault error with a 1.8.1 log file or 2.0 log file.

However...  I just noticed that it only gives the error if the output
file does not already exist.

Exact command
./ra -r arglog1 -w xxx

>    There is a sample config file in
> ./examples/fmodel.conf.

Thanks.  I'll try to figure it out this weekend.

Also, reading in argus 1.8.1 file with
   ra -r arglog1
produces lots of output

A little more testing...  ra with an 1.8.1 log file....
ra -r arglog1   (produces lots of detail records)
ra -r arglog1 -w xxx   (first fails and creates a 0 byte file)
ra -r arglog1 -w xxx   (xxx is about double the size of arglog1)
ra -r xxx      (produces only a couple of lines, and the file is
bigger!)

Same procedure as above with a 2.0 log file works as expected (except
of course the memory fault if xxx doesn't exist).

John Lauro                          email: jlauro at flint.umich.edu
University of Michigan - Flint             jlauro at umich.edu
Information Technology Services
303 E. Kearsley St.                 phone: (810) 762-3123
Flint, MI  48502                      fax: (810) 766-6805