[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 28 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** When Everything Works Like Your Cell Phone ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/when-everything-works-like-your-cell-phone/379820/>
Alexis C. Madrigal and Robinson Meyer, The Atlantic

> When a thing connects to the Internet, three things happen: it becomes smart, it becomes hackable, and it's no longer something you own.

*** iOS 8 Document Management Updates ***
<http://www.macstories.net/ipad/ios-8-document-management-updates/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> There's huge potential in improving the way users work with documents on iOS 8, but developers need more time (and less bugs in the iOS SDK).

*** Building Os X Apps With Javascript ***
<http://tylergaw.com/articles/building-osx-apps-with-js>
Tyler Gaw

> OS X Yosemite introduced JavaScript for Automation. This makes it possible to access native OS X frameworks with JavaScript. I’ve been digging in to this new world and putting together examples along the way. In this post I’ll explain the basics and step through building a small example app.

*** Readle PDF Expert Updated For iOS 8 With iCloud Drive And TouchID Support ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/27/readle-pdf-expert-updated-for-ios-8-with-icloud-drive-and-touchid-support/>
Seth Weintraub, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Normal Finds The Battery Hogs On Your iPhone ***
<http://lifehacker.com/normal-finds-the-battery-hogs-on-your-iphone-1639646153?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twitter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow>
Dave Greenbaum, Lifehacker

*** How To Create A New Child ID For Family Sharing ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-create-new-child-id-family-sharing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Don’t Take That Tone With Me, iPhone ***
<https://medium.com/@nick/dont-take-that-tone-with-me-iphone-a0ed99799233>
Nick Fisher, Medium

> Texts will now feel like a friend lightly touching you on the shoulder and saying hey. And if you miss a text, you’ll definitely see it the next time you check Twitter or Facebook. Try it for a week and thank me later.

*** Should You Update Your iPhone 4S To iOS 8? This Video Shows What You Are In For ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/27/should-you-update-your-iphone-4s-to-ios-8-this-video-shows-what-you-are-in-for/>
Seth Weintraub, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Us By David Nicholls Review – The One Day Author Has Raised His Game ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/28/us-david-nicholls-review-one-day-raised-game>
Matt Haig, The Guardian

> Yes, it is an easy book to read. Yes, it will sell millions. Yes, some people who don’t know any better will be snobby about it. But there is real philosophical depth amid the entertainment. Nicholls has a feel for the big stuff, even as he zooms in on the soft mints, making this a sad, funny, soulful joy of a book.

*** Secrets Of The Crematory: “Hey, Come In Here And Help Me Get This Big Guy On The Table” ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/09/27/secrets_of_the_crematory_“hey_come_in_here_and_help_me_get_this_big_guy_on_the_table”/>
Caitlin Doughty, Salon

> Should you ever wish to understand the phrase “dead weight” in all its gravitational glory, attempt to lift the corpse of a morbidly obese man off of a perilous, wobbly stretcher.

*** Zero Percent Water ***
<https://medium.com/matter/why-the-california-drought-is-all-your-fault-55f81a947ce2>
Alan Heathcock, Medium

> The drought is now killing off century-old California farms. People here don’t blame the weather gods for not bringing rain — they blame the rest of us for not giving a damn.

*** The Atlantic Is Wrong About Aging: Why Our Anti-elderly Bias Needs To Change ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/09/27/the_atlantic_is_wrong_about_aging_why_our_anti_elderly_bias_needs_to_change/>
Jimmie Holland and Mindy Greenstein, Salon

> In older age, we contribute not only the wisdom collected over many years, we also contribute by serving as models of survival. Or, as my granddaughter says, “survivors of life.” And as role models for how to cope when things don’t work, including various body parts.

*** Read Slowly To Benefit Your Brain And Cut Stress ***
<http://m.wsj.com/articles/read-slowly-to-benefit-your-brain-and-cut-stress-1410823086?mobile=y>
Jeanne Whalen, Wall Street Journal