[MyAppleMenu] Sep 27, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 27 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** The (Surprisingly Profitable) Rise Of Podcast Networks ***
<http://www.fastcompany.com/3035954/most-creative-people/the-surprisingly-profitable-rise-of-podcast-networks>
Rebecca Greenfield, Fast Company

> Podcasts have been around for 10 years--the medium and its adoring fans aren't new. What is new is the renewed interest in podcasts as a lucrative business, and with that, the consolidation into formalized networks.

It is getting easier than ever for one person to create podcasts and make some money. But, that doesn't mean podcasting networks -- from the likes of 5by5 to WNYC and NPR -- are dead. Far from it.

*** Signaling Post-Snowden Era, New iPhone Locks Out N.S.A. ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/technology/iphone-locks-out-the-nsa-signaling-a-post-snowden-era-.html>
David E. Sanger and Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> At Apple and Google, company executives say the United States government brought these changes on itself. The revelations by the former N.S.A. contractor Edward J. Snowden not only killed recent efforts to expand the law, but also made nations around the world suspicious that every piece of American hardware and software — from phones to servers made by Cisco Systems — have “back doors” for American intelligence and law enforcement.
> Surviving in the global marketplace — especially in places like China, Brazil and Germany — depends on convincing consumers that their data is secure.

*** Pokemon Trading Card Game Online For iPad Soft-launched On The App Store In Canada ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/pokemon-trading-card-game-online-for-ipad-soft-launched-on-the-app-store-in-canada>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Pokemon TCG Online, as it’s titled on the App Store, is the free-to-play iPad version of the Mac and PC game of the same name, which is a collectible card game based on the Pokemon video game series.

*** More Details On How iOS 8’S MAC Address Randomization Feature Works (And When It Doesn’t) ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Secret Developers Launch New Notification-focused App Called Ping ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/secret-developers-launch-new-notification-focused-app-called-ping/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> The new app is called Ping and its entire purpose is to send you notifications when certain events happen. It’s essentially like an automated version of Yo.

*** iPhone 5: A Form Factor Worth Keeping ***
<http://bitsplitting.org/2014/09/26/iphone-5-a-form-factor-worth-keeping/>
Daniel Jalkut, Bitsplitting.org

> Many of us have reacted with flip disdain for larger phone sizes, but as I said earlier most of the perceived problems have not turned out to be a problem for me thus far. The <i>actual problems</i> however are worth noticing, and will hopefully justify to Apple that a 4″ form factor is worth keeping for the long haul.

*** On iOS 8 And Predictive Typing ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/09/26/on-ios-8-and-predictive-typing/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral>
Dave Mark, The Loop

*** Post-it Note App Lets You Import Physical Notes Into Your iPhone Or iPad ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/post-it-note-app/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Best Notification Center Widgets In iOS 8 Right Now ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2687656/the-best-notification-center-widgets-in-ios-8-right-now.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

*** Apple Ceases Signing iOS 7.1.2, Downgrading No Longer Possible ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/26/apple-ceases-signing-ios-7-1-2/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> As of today, Apple has stopped signing the iOS 7.1.2 firmware, which will prevent users from downgrading from iOS 8 back to iOS 7.

*** Why Bad Bugs Hit Good People ***
<http://www.imore.com/hugs-not-bugs>
Nick Arnott, iMore

> The people who work for Apple are really good at what they do, but at the end of the day they're still people. This isn't the first time we've seen Apple make a mistake and it certainly won't be the last. We all make mistakes. Most of us are just fortunate enough to not have hundreds of millions people who could potentially be affected, and the whole world watching when we do it. In the end, what's more important than a mistake is how the people who made it choose to respond to and learn from it.

*** A New Low In Tech “Journalism” ***
<http://www.theangrydrunk.com/2014/09/26/a-new-low-in-tech-journalism/>
Darby C. Lines, The Angry Drunk

> There is simply no justification for publicly shaming a non-public Apple employee for this. Exactly two people at Apple bear public responsibility for this issue: Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi and CEO Tim Cook. As far as I’m concerned, they have done exactly what they needed to do publicly: fix it, apologize, and move on.

*** MyFitnessPal Update Brings iOS 8 HealthKit Support To Help You Track Exercise And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/myfitnesspal-update-brings-ios-8-healthkit-support-to-help-you-track-exercise-and-more>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

> The update focuses on sharing three different metrics – meal summaries, weight, and exercises. That means you can share meal data with other HealthKit-connected apps when you add food into the app’s diary.

*** All Atwitter ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/books/review/consumed-by-david-cronenberg.html?ref=books>
Jonathan Lethem, New York Times

> Whether to your taste or not, it really shouldn’t be shocking. In fact, such particulars are most likely routinely matched, or surpassed, in the work of thriller and horror writers in the post-Thomas Harris era, when monsters must trump ­Hannibal Lecter or else go home. What’s vertiginous in Cronenberg’s book is that such matters are presented in the absence of a reliably bourgeois moral framework. Instead, Cronenberg details them with a clinical curiosity.

*** Ready For Rain: Why Seattleites Crave The End Of Summer ***
<https://medium.com/@leelefever/ready-for-rain-f14703d4f4a8>
Lee LeFever, Medium

> You see, this time of year, I want it to rain for days. I want an atmospheric river to roll off the Pacific and slam Seattle with precipitation. I want to look at the weather map and see greens, yellows and oranges. Thankfully, I live in a place that makes the timely arrival of rain an absolute certainty.

*** In Search Of The Lost Trail ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/09/26/in-search-of-the-lost-trail/>
J. C. Gabel, The Paris Review