[MyAppleMenu] Sep 26, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 26 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Amazon’s Goodreads App Finally Gets A Makeover ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/25/amazons-goodreads-app-finally-gets-a-makeover/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

*** Apple: Most OS X Users Safe From 'Shellshock' Exploit, Patch Coming Quickly For Advanced Unix Users ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-working-quickly-protect-os-x-against-shellshock-exploit>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Joy Of Cooking 2.0 Serves Universal Support Plus iOS 8 And iPhone 6 Optimizations ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/joy-of-cooking-2-0-serves-universal-support-plus-ios-8-and-iphone-6-optimizations>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Joy of Cooking is the official iOS edition of the bestselling cookbook of the same name, which was first published way back in 1931.

*** Apple Releases iOS 8.0.2 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-releases-ios-8-0-2/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> A day after releasing and then pulling iOS 8.0.1 due to bugs that caused cellular connections and Touch ID to not work on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple has just released iOS 8.0.2. The new version carries the same bug fixes of Wednesday's update and fixes the bugs that had been introduced by iOS 8.0.1.

*** Inside The Building Where Apple Tortures The iPhone 6 ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> A few blocks away from Apple's bustling campus in Cupertino is a rather nondescript building. Inside is absolutely the last place on earth you'd want to be if you were an iPhone. It's here where Apple subjects its newest models to the kinds of things they might run into in the real world: drops, pressure, twisting, tapping. Basically all the things that could turn your shiny gadget into a small pile of metal and glass.

*** Apple Rebuts Complaints Of Bending iPhones ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-defends-against-complaints-of-bending-iphones-1411668618?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_tech>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Since going on sale Friday, Apple said only nine customers have contacted the company about a bent iPhone 6 Plus—the larger and more expensive of its two new iPhones. Apple said both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus passed a series of tests meant to check the products' strength and durability through everyday use.

*** Instagram's New Hyperlapse App Now Supports High-speed Selfies ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6844455/instagrams-new-app-hyperlapse-now-supports-high-speed-selfies>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

*** First Attacks Using 'Shellshock' Bash Bug Discovered ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/first-attacks-using-shellshock-bash-bug-discovered-7000034044/>
Liam Tung, ZDNet

*** Why Cooking Sucks ***
<http://www.cafe.com/r/69b7af64-c8a6-449d-8682-12da2bc37096/1/how-cooking-for-others-can-be-selfish>
Sarah Miller, Cafe

> When I finally went to bed after hours of cooking and cleaning up, having achieved absolutely nothing — having impressed no one, including myself, with the food I made — I said to my boyfriend, "Cooking is really stupid." He said that he agreed. I said that I was never cooking again. He said he thought that was a great idea. I said, "I have to make homemade tomato sauce with C on Saturday. And I have to make some more galettes because the last ones sucked."
> "That sounds like a lot of cooking," he said.
> "I know," I said. "I'm going to make the galettes and the sauce and then, I am never cooking again."

*** The Body Electric ***
<http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-Body-Electric.html>
Ferris Jabr, OutsideOnline.com

> Every year, more than 500 Americans will be struck by lightning—and roughly 90 percent of them will survive. Though they remain among the living, their minds and bodies will be instantly, fundamentally altered in ways that still leave scientists scratching their heads.

*** A Column Is A Half-formed Thing ***
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/a-column-is-a-half-formed-thing/article20790787/>
Russell Smith, The Globe And Mail