[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 25 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** The iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://www.macdrifter.com/2014/09/the-iphone-6-plus.html>
Macdrifter

> I think there is tremendous opportunity with the 6 Plus to create a new class of device for people that need more than a typical iPhone provides but do not want to carry an iPad or Macbook. This is a size screen for people that live in email or want to do a lot of writing on a bus or plane. Sitting on the couch ready makes me forget how terrible the size is for a phone and makes me appreciate how great it is for a pocket computer.

*** Regarding OAuth For Apps ***
<http://kickingbear.com/blog/archives/492>
Guy English, Kickingbear

> The issue is OAuth. It’s cumbersome, difficult to implement well and requires hoops to be jumped. Rejecting a developer for doing the right thing by their customers (who are all Apple customers) encourages a culture of not giving a fuck. That’s never turned out well in the long run.

*** ProCamera 8 For iOS 8 Boasts New Manual Camera Controls And vividHDR Feature ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/procamera-8-for-ios-8-boasts-new-manual-camera-controls-and-vividhdr-feature>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Get To Know iOS 8: Mail Lets You Process Your Inbox Fast And Write Better Drafts ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2687161/get-to-know-ios-8-mail-lets-you-process-your-inbox-fast-and-write-better-drafts.html#tk.rss_all>
Derek Walter, Macworld

*** 'Bash' Security Flaw In OS X Allows For Malicious Attacks On Devices And Services ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/25/bash-flaw-os-x/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

> Security researchers from Red Hat have uncovered a new exploit in the common "Bash" command shell found in OS X and Linux which can be used to deploy malicious code with minimal effort. Due to the ubiquity of the Bash shell, the exploit can affect a wide variety of different web-connected devices and properties, including unsecured websites, smart home appliances, servers, and more.

*** Apple To Release iOS 8.0.2, Fix Update Issues, In The Next Few Days ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-release-ios-802-fix-update-issues-next-few-days?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Apple also details steps that can be taken right now for anyone affected by a bad iOS 8.0.1 install.

*** How To Easily Add Secure FileVault Passcode To Your Keychain ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/24/how-to-easily-add-secure-filevault-passcode-to-your-keychain/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

*** My Swift Dilemma ***
<http://owensd.io/2014/09/24/swift-experiences.html>
David Owens

> The truth of the matter is that I really, really, wanted to like Swift. Much of the Objective-C syntax is clunky, bolted on, and downright infuriating at times (I’m looking at you block syntax). However, the power and flexibility the language provided in its relatively minuscule ruleset should not be overlooked.
> But it is.

*** In-App Browsers Considered Harmful ***
<http://furbo.org/2014/09/24/in-app-browsers-considered-harmful/>
Craig Hockenberry, Furbo.org

> How many apps on your iPhone or iPad have a built-in browser?
> Would it surprise you to know that every one of those apps could eavesdrop on your typing? Even when it’s in a secure login screen with a password field?

*** Apple Releases iOS 8.0.1 With Fixes, But Many Users Reporting It Breaks Cellular + Touch ID ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/24/apple-releases-ios-8-0-1-with-various-improvements-and-bug-fixes/>
Stephen Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Why Apple Kept The 16 GB iPhone In Favor Of 32 GB ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15095?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

> But I suspect the more influential factor at work is this thought: “For only $100 more, I can get four times as much storage!”

*** Side-by-Side Comparison Of All Eight iPhone Cameras, Or: Why The 6 Is DxOMark’s New Smartphone King ***
<http://petapixel.com/2014/09/24/side-side-comparison-8-iphone-cameras-shows-6-dxomarks-new-king/>
DL Cade, PetaPixel

> Despite still housing only 8 megapixels and basically the same lens as before, the new sensor, exceptional AF and powerful video capabilities have shot the iPhone 6/Plus to the very top of DxOMark’s ranking.

*** Sunrise Calendar Adds RSVP From Notifications, Trello Card Support ***
<http://www.imore.com/sunrise-calendar-adds-rsvp-notifications-and-trello-card-support>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Interactive notifications in Sunrise allow you to RSVP to events right when you receive an invitation, directly from the notification. You can either respond by swiping the notification on the lock screen, or tap the button on the notification when it appears on your phone.

*** Big iPhone 6 Bulges In All The Wrong Places ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/fashion/new-iphones-bulge-in-all-the-wrong-places.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

> It’s the ultimate first world problem. You go to the Apple store, drop $400 for an iPhone 6 and then discover it doesn’t fit in your pocket.
> Gasp!

*** The Woman Who Walked 10,000 Miles (No Exaggeration) In Three Years ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/magazine/the-woman-who-walked-10000-miles-no-exaggeration-in-three-years.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Elizabeth Weil, New York Times

> But then there’s Sarah Marquis, who perhaps should be seen as an explorer like Scott, born in the wrong age. She is 42 and Swiss, and has spent three of the past four years walking about 10,000 miles by herself, from Siberia through the Gobi Desert, China, Laos and Thailand, then taking a cargo boat to Brisbane, Australia, and walking across that continent. Along the way, like Scott, she has starved, she has frozen, she has (wo)man-hauled. She has pushed herself at great physical cost to places she wanted to love but ended up feeling, as Scott wrote of the South Pole in his journal: “Great God! This is an awful place.”

*** New York’s Subway Is So Hellish, I’m Homesick For London’s Underground ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/23/new-york-subway-homesick-london-underground-mta-map>
Bim Adewunmi, The Guardian

> On first appearance, it is like the London underground – trains, tickets, announcements, the crush of bodies. But then, slowly, the entire system reveals itself to you. It is the work of a sadist, cooked up in a fever dream and delivered with a flourish and an unhinged grin.

*** Anthony Bourdain Has Become The Future Of Cable News, And He Couldn't Care Less ***
<http://www.fastcompany.com/3036090/innovation-agents/anthony-bourdain-has-become-the-future-of-cable-news-and-he-couldnt-care-l?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Rob Brunner, Fast Company