[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 24 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** One Week After iOS 8, Developers Comment On App Bundles ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/one-week-after-ios-8-developers-comment-on-app-bundles/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Manual For iOS Gives Photographers DSLR-style Control In A Well-designed App ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/09/23/manual-for-ios-gives-photographers-dslr-style-control-in-a-well-designed-app/>
Kif Leswing, GigaOM

> Looking for an iPhone camera app with a wealth of manual settings? Check out Manual, which takes advantage of new iOS 8 camera capabilities to give photographers a surprising amount of control.

*** App Of The Week: 1Password Review ***
<http://www.stuff.tv/app-week-1password/review>
Craig Grannell, Stuff

> Because of app extensions, 1Password can be directly triggered from a Safari Share sheet, providing rapid access to all of your usernames and passwords. In fact, 1Password goes further, because it can also be used with any third-party app that builds in support; examples that have gotten on board early include Slack, Instapaper, and Treehouse.

*** Xscope 4.0: Do-it-all Tool That Every Graphics Pro Should Have ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2686048/xscope-40-do-it-all-tool-that-every-graphics-pro-should-have.html>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Ultimately, if you do any kind of creative work that involves manipulating graphics—whether as a designer or as a developer—xScope is an app that belongs on your Mac. It provides the perfect blend of functionality that will help you get more done in less time, and with fewer tribulations.

*** Review: The 6 Best Third-party Keyboards For iPhone, So Far ***
<http://www.geekwire.com/2014/6-best-new-iphone-keyboards/>
Blair Hanley Frank, GeekWire

*** iOS 8 Review ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6826561/ios-8-review>
Dan Seifert, The Verge

> With iOS 8, Apple is tearing out the old foundation of iOS and replacing it with a new, friendlier platform. Apple has thrown open the doors of iOS 8 to developers in ways it never has before. Where the iPhone used to be an appliance, iOS 8 turns it into a platform, a way to connect your apps and devices in new ways. But Apple still hasn’t dramatically altered how it works for millions of people. iOS 8 is much more powerful than any of its predecessors, but it’s still as approachable and easy-to-use as it ever has been.

*** Olloclip 4-In-1 iPhone Lens System Review ***
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/olloclip-4-1-iphone-lenses,review-2361.html>
Sam Rutherford, Tom's Guide

> Olloclip's 4-in-1 system provides a great range of lenses without breaking the bank. And it's a cinch to carry around, making it our favorite iPhone lens kit by far. With its superfast attachment and convenient and pocketable travel pouch, the Olloclip 4-in-1 is our top choice for iPhone camera accessories.

*** Apple's New iPhone Pitch: Privacy ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apples-new-iphone-pitch-privacy-1411511136>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Students of digital advertising say these distinctions aren't clear cut. "There are aspects of Apple's activities that are admirable from a privacy standpoint," said Joseph Turow, a University of Pennsylvania professor who studies privacy and digital advertising. "At the same time, there are areas where Apple shows the kind of conflict that it and other companies have in monetizing users' data."

*** Adobe Unveils Photoshop And Premiere Elements 13 For Mac ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/24/adobe-photoshop-premiere-elements-13/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Both Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 have gained several new features, focusing on improved editing tools, additional guided techniques, and Elements Live, a new portal that offers tips and tricks directly within each app.

*** Apple Debuts New iPhone 6 Print Ads Featuring Actual-size Images Of The Phones ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/23/apple-debuts-new-iphone-6-print-ads-featuring-actual-size-images-of-the-phones/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Improve iOS 8 Battery Life Drain Problems With These Eight Tips ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/23/improve-ios-8-battery-life-problems/>
OS X Daily

*** How To Leave A Group Chat In Messages For iOS 8 ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/23/leave-group-message-chat-ios/>
OS X Daily

*** Bing Translator Extension For iOS 8 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/bing-translator-extension-for-ios-8/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The best part of Bing Translator is the tight Safari integration it offers. Seeing text replaced in the context of the webpage you're reading doesn't feel like iOS at all, and it's another good demonstration of the flexibility and power of action extensions.

*** How Does The iOS 8 Time-lapse Feature Work? ***
<http://www.studioneat.com/blogs/main/15467765-how-does-the-ios-8-time-lapse-feature-work>
Dan Provost, Studio Neat

> The result of this method is that anything you shoot will generally end up being between 20 and 40 seconds long, an ideal shareable length. Also worth mentioning, the resulting video is always 30 fps, the standard framerate for video. No surprises there.

*** Apple Watch To Be A Controller For Many Devices ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/09/23/apple-watch-to-be-a-controller-for-many-devices/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Even though it may be obvious that given its WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, with the proper app the Apple Watch could control any similarly connected device, this confirms that there is far more to the Apple Watch than we have seen.

*** Some iPhone 6 Plus Owners Accidentally Bending Their iPhones In Pockets ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/23/iphone-6-plus-bending-pockets/>
Kelly Hodgkins, MacRumors

> A small but growing number of iPhone 6 Plus owners have reportedly bent their phones after carrying the devices in their pockets just days after launch. In one instance, a new iPhone 6 Plus was bent during a day of dancing, dining, and driving to a wedding.

Maybe an iPhone case is warranted?

*** Apple Quietly Removes Promise Of 2014 CarPlay Availability As It Adds CBS News Radio Compatibility ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/23/apple-carplay-delay-cbs-app/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has quietly updated its CarPlay microsite which explains the feature to add CBS News Radio to its growing list of apps it grants CarPlay support to, but a bigger change also appears on the CarPlay site this morning. Apple is no longer promising CarPlay support from any automobile manufacturer this year as it has done since its debut in March. While there has been no shortage of CarPlay demoes and availability announcements, actually getting your hands on a model with CarPlay thus far has proven almost impossible.

*** Radical Linguistics In An Age Of Extinction ***
<http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/radical-linguistics-in-an-age-of-extinction>
Ross Perlin, Dissent

> A “language” has come to mean something irreducibly, but often invisibly, political.

*** If I Could Do It Over ***
<https://medium.com/human-parts/if-i-could-do-it-over-932bb56f4c15>
Lisa Roe, Medium