[MyAppleMenu] Sep 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 23 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Google Updates Chrome With iOS 8 Compatibility Including Share Extension Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/google-updates-chrome-with-ios-8-compatibility-including-share-extension-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Say Hello To Talko: Ray Ozzie’s Startup Wants To Reinvent The Phone Call, Starting With An iPhone App ***
<http://www.geekwire.com/2014/ray-ozzie-talko/>
Todd Bishop, GeekWire

> Talko, available initially for iPhone, lets users conduct and record conversations — with a focus on making voice calls and messages more accessible, interactive and collaborative.

*** Three Days With The iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/22/three-days-with-the-iphone-6-plus/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Over the weekend, my battery never got below 50 percent. This from a guy who normally sees that ominous red bar on the little battery icon and evening warnings about "You have less than 10% battery left." Does this make me happy? Heck, yeah. Does this mean I'll be able to skip my usual purchase of a Mophie Juice Pack? Yep.

*** Apple Airs New iPhone 6 Ads “Huge” And “Cameras” Featuring Jimmy Fallon And Justin Timberlake ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/apple-airs-new-iphone-6-ads-huge-and-cameras-featuring-jimmy-fallon-and-justin-timberlake/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** iPhone 6 And 6 Plus: In Deep With Apple’s Thinnest Phones ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> For many people, the larger iPhone 6 is well within "you'll get used to it" territory. It's certainly larger, but after a couple of days your hands will have adjusted, and going back to an iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 screen is going to make that screen seem tiny.
> Both the iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus are major upgrades over their predecessors that should keep most current iPhone buyers happy while also tempting people who wanted to use iOS but weren't willing to settle for smaller screens.

*** New Two-factor Authentication App Lockdown Launches With iCloud Syncing, Recovery Code Storage, And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/two-factor-authentication-app-lockdown/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> A new iOS app for managing two-factor authentication keys called Lockdown launched this weekend with a set of unique features like the ability to sync your keys over iCloud with other devices (including an upcoming Mac counterpart).

*** Evernote 5.6 For Mac ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/evernote-5-6-for-mac/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Evernote released version 5.6 of their Mac app today. Hidden behind a seemingly minor update is a series of important changes to the desktop app that make it faster to sync and that bring welcome new features not available in Evernote for iOS.

*** iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus: Preliminary Results ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/8559/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-preliminary-results>
Joshua Ho, AnandTech

*** Hey, Siri... No, The Other Siri ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/09/hey-siri-no-the-other-siri/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> iOS 8 adds a feature that lets you trigger Siri just by saying “Hey Siri,” so long as your device is plugged in. Unfortunately, there’s no way to train Siri to respond to specific voices or customize the keywords it’s looking for.

*** iOS 8 Users Report Slow Wi-Fi, Battery Drains ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468966,00.asp>
Chloe Albanesius, PC Magazine

*** iOS 8: A Brief Introduction ***
<http://lowendmac.com/2014/ios-8-a-brief-introduction/>
Dan Knight, Low End Mac

<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/view-source-code-in-safari-with-an-action-extension/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Developed by Paul Hudson, View Source is a $0.99 Universal app that, as the name largely implies, lets you view the source code for webpages (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) in iOS' Safari with an action extension.

*** What Is This Singaporean Road Sign Trying To Tell Us? ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/09/22/what_s_that_thing_uncovers_the_mysteries_of_a_singaporean_road_sign.html>
Mark Vanhoenacker, Slate

> If foreigners aren’t familiar with these shelters, few will have ever seen the skies open like they do here. The city-state averages around 90 inches of rainfall per year. That’s more than Hong Kong or monsoonal Dhaka, Bangladesh. It’s more than Seattle and Vancouver combined. And Singapore’s tropical rain often comes in heavy, short-lived sky-Niagaras.

*** The Solace Of Oblivion ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/29/solace-oblivion?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Jeffrey Toobin, New Yorker