[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Four Ways To Open Applications And Documents Automatically In OS X ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2686554/how-to-open-applications-and-documents-automatically-in-os-x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Topher Kessler, Macworld

> While Apple makes opening applications and documents in OS X relatively straightforward, there may be times when you’d like to automate the process, opening those apps and docs when you wish without lifting a finger. Perhaps, for example, you want Mail to open every time you log in. Or maybe you want a specific set of apps to open every Friday at 9:00 am. Or maybe you want to get fancy and have a particular program open whenever a certain disk is mounted.
> All of these things are possible using tools built into OS X. In fact, there are four distinct ways to schedule or automate the opening of applications and documents on your Mac, without the intervention of third-party tools.

*** Don’t Let iOS 8’S Accidental Selfie Feature Ruin Your Life ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/21/dont-let-ios-8s-accidental-selfie-feature-ruin-your-life/>
Jordan Crook, TechCrunch

> With both videos and voice memos, iMessage lets you review the content before sending it. You can play it back and then choose to delete or send it off into the world for other peoples’ viewing and judging pleasure.
> With still pictures, however, the photo is automatically sent the second your finger releases the camera button.

*** Skype App Updated For iOS 8, Includes Interactive Notifications For Calls And Messages ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/skype-ios-iphone-6/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** As Opening Weekend iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Sales Top 10 Million, We Look Back At Previous iPhone Launches ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/as-opening-weekend-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-sales-top-10-million-we-look-back-at-previous-iphone-launches/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

*** Apple Announces Record 10 Million iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Sales In Opening Weekend ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/apple-iphone-6-sales/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has today announced that it sold 10 million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units in the first three days of sales. This includes the 4 million units sold in the first 24 hours of preorder sales.

*** Camera Test: The iPhone 6 Won't Beat A DSLR, But It's Still An Excellent Device ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2686301/camera-test-the-iphone-6-still-wont-beat-a-dslr-but-its-close.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** File Uploads Appear To Be Broken In Safari On iOS 8 ***
<http://blog.uploadcare.com/post/97884147203/you-cannot-upload-files-to-a-server-using-mobile-safari?_sm_au_=iVVbD7Tk0qGp9N5n>
Uploadcare Blog

> The new iOS version has a bug that renders sending files by browsers impossible. When you choose a file in a form on HTML page and try to submit it, no file is sent in the request. The browser indicates that it’s waiting for a response, but in fact the response never comes.

*** Tim Cook Q&A: The Full Interview On iPhone 6 And The Apple Watch ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-19/tim-cook-q-and-a-the-full-interview-on-iphone-6-and-the-apple-watch>
Brad Stone And Adam Satariano, Bloomberg Businessweek

*** Apple’s iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Reachability Feature Is Illogically Designed ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/apples-iphone-6-and-6-plus-reachability-feature-is-illogically-designed/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Ode To Marshall And Lily: The True Central Couple Of <i>How I Met Your Mother</i> ***
<http://www.avclub.com/article/ode-marshall-and-lily-true-central-couple-how-i-me-209227>
Libby Hill, The A.V. Club

> But when all was said and done, Marshall and Lily remained. They’re the ones still madly in love at the end of the show, still aching to jump each other’s bones 18 years into their relationship. They’re the ones who’ve finally reached the point in their lives where they’ve spent more time together than apart. They’re the ones who wouldn’t let that tenure suffocate their growth as people; instead they greeted it as a gift that made them who they were, their love sheltering the harshest blows that life can offer. Lily and Marshall are television’s last best example of a marriage that exists more often in the real world than it does in fiction: one that melds the comfort of familiarity, the fiery joy of intoxicating love, and the slaphappy farce of life itself.

*** The Trouble With Writing ***
<http://www.themillions.com/2014/09/the-trouble-with-writing-by-michelle-huneven.html>
Michelle Huneven, The Millions

> In those twenty-odd years, in which I tried and failed to write a book, and left writing and then came back to it and became a working writer who wrote books and also supported herself by writing, I grew intimately acquainted with many forms of trouble inherent in the vocation. And many of those troubles dog me to this day.

*** Poem Of The Week: Snow By Vidyan Ravinthiran ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/sep/22/poem-of-the-week-snow-vidyan-ravinthiran>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

> I’m tempted to say the poem is not really about snow. It’s an epistle or an epithalamium, a meditation on love and marriage, on the “dark alleys” of life and the illuminating flights. For Ravinthiran as for MacNeice, snow generates incorrigible plurality.

*** The Bush By Don Watson Review – Driven By The Burning Truth ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/22/the-bush-by-don-watson-review-driven-by-the-burning-truth>
Paul Daley, The Guardian

> Watson is a country boy and his latest book is The Bush – Travels in the Heart of Australia. He does travel, all over – from the Mallee to Gippsland, from the west and to the north – which gives the narrative its soothing, train trip momentum through time and country. In that sense, there is an element of travelogue of the type characterised by his book American Journeys, which was also really a search for the heart of another country.
> But this is excellent, hard-headed history, too, footnoted and documented as Watson squirrels into unanticipated corners where he describes native flora (botanic names abound) and fauna, farm machinery, climatic variations, human occupations, cattle and sheep breeds, minute details that would be sedative in the hands of a lesser writer but, when canvassed by Watson, prove utterly mesmerising and entrancing.

*** Grandmaster Clash ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/sinquefield_cup_one_of_the_most_amazing_feats_in_chess_history_just_happened.single.html>
Seth Stevenson, Slate

> Even without the distraction of talking to me, Carlsen was not playing to his typical high standards. Meanwhile, one of his rivals was in the midst of a streak so extraordinary it threatened to overshadow anything Carlsen had ever done. All of which, in confluence, transformed the Sinquefield Cup into one of the most emotional, dramatic, newsworthy chess events of the past 40 years. At most 300 people were in St. Louis to see it.

*** How Long Does It Take To Get To Tatooine? ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/long-take-get-tatooine>
Maria Konnikova, New Yorker

> What if, for instance, the students had to sort out the energy dynamics of a scene in “Star Wars” or “The Lord of the Rings”? “Suddenly, the kids were excited and engaged,” he told me. “Before I knew it, they were running ahead of me, coming up with their own examples and solving their own equations.” At that moment, he realized that formulating exciting, relevant questions—questions that stemmed from students’ own concerns and interests, however far removed from a lecture hall—might sometimes be the best way to help people understand disciplines as complex as physics. However absurd and hypothetical, such questions seemed to engage students’ minds in a way that simple formulas alone did not.

*** What's Wrong With Hong Kong? ***
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/19/what_wrong_with_hong_kong_three_reasons>
Nicholas Bequelin, Foreign Policy