[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 19 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** I Let Apple's QuickType Keyboard Take Over My iPhone ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6337105/breaking-apples-quicktype-keyboard>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> Apple has a new feature for the keyboard in iOS called QuickType, and it's kind of crazy. It looks at what you're writing and suggests the next word, so you can simply tap it. This saves keystrokes, time, and perhaps sanity. When they discover 20 years from now that smartphones have given everybody debilitating carpal tunnel, autocompletionists will have the last laugh.

*** Apple Fans Buy Their First iPhone 6 - And This Guy Drops His ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/19/apple-iphone-6-plus-dropped-accident>
Alex Hern, The Guardian

> One of the first people in the world to own an iPhone 6 rapidly became the first person to experience the heartstopping feeling of watching a half-grand chunk of electronics hit the floor with a crash, after he dropped his new phone live on air.

According to The Guardian, "the iPhone was unharmed."

*** iPhone 6 Plus Teardown ***
<https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown/29206?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown+Complete&utm_content=iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown+Complete+CID_fd7dc5a2da2be9ed39dbc77c57e8eaf4&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=bear%20the%20brunt%20of%20our%20spudgers>
iFixIt

*** Apple And Amazon Take Baby Steps Toward Digital Sharing ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/apple-and-amazon-take-baby-steps-toward-digital-sharing/?_php=true&_type=blogs&partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Molly Wood, New York Times

> So, while Family Sharing and Family Library seem like a victory at first, “to me, this is really a failure of our copyright law,” said Corynne McSherry, who heads intellectual property policy research at the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
> “It presupposes that the content owners should be able to have that kind of control over what they buy,” she said. “Copyright law isn’t changing with our times, because what doesn’t change is that people want to be able to give someone a copy of a book or song that they legally bought.”

*** iOS 8 Causes Bandwidth Spikes Nationwide, Despite Slow Uptake ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/18/apple-ios-8-bandwidth-spikes-uk-uptake>
Alex Hern, The Guardian

> The launch of Apple’s latest mobile operating system, iOS 8, caused spikes in internet usage across the UK in its first day, as users rushed to download the 2 gigabyte file shortly after it was released at 6pm on Wednesday evening.
> But the morning after, third-party monitoring firms suggest that uptake of the OS hasn’t been as rapid as the company’s previous release, iOS 7.

*** Apple Relied On Its Own Network For Part Of The iOS 8 Upgrade ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/18/apple-relied-on-its-own-network-for-part-of-the-ios-8-upgrade/>
Drew Fitzgerald, Wall Street Journal

> The roll-out of Apple ’s new mobile-operating system Wednesday was the first time the company used its proprietary data distribution infrastructure, also called a content-delivery network, for such a large-scale deployment.

*** How To Design For Thumbs In The Era Of Huge Screens ***
<http://scotthurff.com/posts/how-to-design-for-thumbs-in-the-era-of-huge-screens>
Scott Hurff

> Mobile screen sizes on the whole are becoming more similar, and that’s a good thing. But it also means that we can’t just treat screens in the 5.5” range simply as a scaled-up version of a smaller phone. Grips completely change, and with that, your interface might need to do so, as well.

*** iOS 8 On The iPhone 4S: Performance Isn’t The (Only) Problem ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-on-the-iphone-4s-performance-isnt-the-only-problem/#image-6>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> The iPhone 4S was Apple's last to use the original 3.5-inch iPhone screen size, which is now the smallest of four different phone screens that Apple supports. iOS 8's new stuff is all about fitting more information on those larger screens, whether we're talking about predictive typing, new Mail sorting options, Notification Center widgets, or Spotlight suggestions. The 4S' screen has always been small, but iOS 8 can make it feel cramped.

*** Apple’s “Warrant Canary” Disappears, Suggesting New Patriot Act Demands ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/09/18/apples-warrant-canary-disappears-suggesting-new-patriot-act-demands/>
Jeff John Roberts, GigoOM

*** SwiftKey's iOS 8 Keyboard Hits One Million Downloads In Under 24 Hours ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/18/swiftkey-one-million/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

*** Where Are All Of Your Camera Roll Photos In iOS 8? ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/where-are-all-of-your-camera-roll-photos-in-ios-8>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> Under Albums, you’ll now see two new folders in place of the Camera Roll, “Recently Added” and “Recently Deleted.”
> Once your items are more than 30 days old, they are only accessible under Photos > Collections where they are sorted by date and location, and by year, when applicable.

This is going to confuse a lot of people.

*** Xcode 6: Live Rendering, Visual View Debugging, And Swift ***
<http://www.macstories.net/mac/xcode-6-live-rendering-visual-view-debugging-and-swift/>
Don Southard, MacStories

> Xcode 6 brings exciting new features and enhancements including support for an entirely new programming language, improved view debugging, live view rendering, extensions, playgrounds, and more.

*** iOS 8 Kills iPhoto And Forces A Messy Transition To Photos ***
<http://www.imore.com/ios-8-kills-iphoto-messy-transition-photos>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Despite Apple’s Privacy Pledge, Cops Can Still Pull Data Off A Locked iPhone ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/09/apple-iphone-security/>
Andy Greenberg, Wired

> iOS forensics expert Jonathan Zdziarski offered a word of caution for the millions of users clamoring to pre-order the iPhone 6 and upgrade to iOS 8. In many cases, he points out, the cops can still grab and offload sensitive data from your locked iPhone without Apple’s help, even in iOS 8. All they need, he says, is your powered-on phone and access to a computer you’ve previously used to move data onto and off of it.

*** Looking At Accessibility In iOS 8 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/looking-at-accessibility-in-ios-8/>
Steven Aquino, MacStories

*** Donald Antrim And The Art Of Anxiety ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/magazine/donald-antrim-and-the-art-of-anxiety.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
John Jeremiah Sullivan, New York Times

> Some critics have lamented over the years that his characters don’t really “change,” but they do; it’s just that they devolve, they go mad.

*** Why I Hope To Die At 75 ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/09/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Ezekiel J. Emanuel, The Atlantic

> Let me be clear about my wish. I’m neither asking for more time than is likely nor foreshortening my life. Today I am, as far as my physician and I know, very healthy, with no chronic illness. I just climbed Kilimanjaro with two of my nephews. So I am not talking about bargaining with God to live to 75 because I have a terminal illness. Nor am I talking about waking up one morning 18 years from now and ending my life through euthanasia or suicide. Since the 1990s, I have actively opposed legalizing euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide. People who want to die in one of these ways tend to suffer not from unremitting pain but from depression, hopelessness, and fear of losing their dignity and control. The people they leave behind inevitably feel they have somehow failed. The answer to these symptoms is not ending a life but getting help. I have long argued that we should focus on giving all terminally ill people a good, compassionate death—not euthanasia or assisted suicide f
 or a tiny minority.