[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 20 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** iOS 8 Keyboards From SwiftKey, Swype, & Fleksy Compared: Everybody Wins ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/19/ios-8-keyboards-from-swiftkey-swype-fleksy-compared-everybody-wins/>
Devindra Hardawar, VentureBeat

> It’s hard to proclaim a champion from my short testing, but one thing I noticed is that each of these keyboards could appeal to different people. And ultimately, that’s the best thing about Apple’s more open stance with developers. Choice is a very good thing.
> But in the process of giving developers more leeway, Apple has also significantly improved its own iOS keyboard. That likely won’t get as much publicity as shiny new third-party keyboards, but it’s welcome all the same.

*** A Brief Visual History Of Apple Home Page Tabs ***
<http://jamesdempsey.net/2014/09/10/a-brief-history-of-apple-home-page-tabs/>
James Dempsey

> This week brought announcements of new iPhones, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch, as well as the quiet departure of the iPod classic, the last remaining click-wheel product in the iPod lineup.  It also brought something that happens much less often than new product announcements—changes to the look and lineup of tabs at the top of the page at apple.com.

*** Got An iPhone 6? Do These 10 Things First ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2686003/got-an-iphone-6-do-these-10-things-first.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

> These are the 10 things you should do first.

The three most important items: backup, secure, and item #10.

*** Apple Has A "War Room" To Monitor iOS 8 Problems As They Emerge On Social Media ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/19/apple-has-a-war-room-to-monitor-ios-8-problems-as-they-emerge/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** iOS 8 How-to: Set Up And Use Family Sharing ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/19/ios-8-how-to-set-up-and-use-family-sharing/>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Can Andy Ihnatko Turn The iPhone 6 Plus Into The Mobile Computer Of His Dreams? ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/andy-ihnatko-iphone-6-plus-keyboard/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> I’ve taken a look around and must declare that perfection — for now — eludes me. But there are at least three affordable, workable options, and one or two possible stunners over the horizon.

*** FunBITS: A Minecraft Crash Course ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15084?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> So just what is Minecraft? It’s a game. But a game unlike any you’ve ever played before. Imagine a randomly generated world much larger than even the planet you’re standing on now, where you can build just about anything you can imagine: bridges, statues, castles, the Apple Campus, even a gigantic game of Pong.

*** Apple's iOS 8 Fixes Enterprise Wi-Fi Authentication Hijacking Flaw ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686512/apples-ios-8-fixes-enterprise-wifi-authentication-hijacking-issue.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Lucian Constantin, PCWorld

> The vulnerability stems from Apple’s implementation of the WPA2-Enterprise security protocol that’s widely used on corporate wireless networks because it allows clients to have unique access credentials instead of using a preshared password like in the case of WPA2-Personal, the wireless security protocol used on home networks.

*** How To Back Up Your Data And Move It To Your New iPhone 6 Or iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/19/how-to-back-up-your-data-and-move-it-to-your-new-iphone-6-or-iphone-6-plus?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
AppleInsider

*** Behind Closed Doors ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/books/review/the-paying-guests-by-sarah-waters.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Carol Anshaw, New York Times

> Although Waters is definitely up to constructing a big, entertaining story, her strength seems to be in blueprinting social architecture in terms of its tiniest corners and angles, matters measurable by inches rather than feet — small moments we recognize but have never articulated, even to ourselves.

*** What Would We Do Without It? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/nyregion/a-look-at-our-love-affair-with-air-conditioning.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Sam Roberts, New York Times

> To Americans, New York is a Northern city, but in his breezily anecdotal book, Mr. Basile reminds readers that we practically share a latitude with Madrid, if not the siestas. The heat could be brutal, particularly when 5,000 ceiling fans, while the largest such installation in the world, were all that cooled the city’s subway cars.
> Air-conditioning was not just about comfort.
> It triggered a cultural and demographic revolution.

*** Book Review: ‘Censors At Work: How States Shaped Literature,’ By Robert Darnton ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-censors-at-work-how-states-shaped-literature-by-robert-darnton/2014/09/18/c5445fb4-3369-11e4-a723-fa3895a25d02_story.html>
Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post

> In this provocative study of censorship as it was practiced in three different places at three different times, the distinguished scholar Robert Darnton argues that it can be a considerably subtler and more nuanced undertaking than it is generally assumed to be. He has not written a defense of censorship — far from it — but he emphasizes that when the state sets itself up as arbiter of what goes into books and what does not, the results are not always predictable, but are sometimes surprising and even — occasionally — beneficial to authors and their publishers.

<http://review.gawker.com/the-original-gone-girl-on-daphne-du-maurier-and-her-re-1635758750>
Carrie Frye, Gawker

> Rebecca remains her best-known book. This is as it should be: Rebecca is fantastic and gripping, a fever dream wrapped around a sharp thriller. It was her fifth, and when she turned it into her publisher, Victor Gollancz, she was apologetic. "The ending is a bit brief and a bit grim," she told him, wrung out from writing. This, she warned, would probably keep the book from being a success. The in-house editor, thought differently. While deploring du Maurier's "incredible" spelling, he wrote in an editorial note: "I don’t know another author who imagines so hard all the time." The novel came out in 1938, selling 45,000 copies its first month. Soon after came the Hitchcock movie starring Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine. Last year, at its 75th anniversary, Virago put its paperback sales as a steady 4,000 copies a month.

*** Forget GMOs. The Future Of Food Is Data—Mountains Of It ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/09/ex-googler-using-big-data-model-creation-new-foods/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Cade Metz, Wired

> Inside a squat building on San Francisco’s 10th Street, packed into a space that looks a lot like a high school chem lab, Hampton Creek is redesigning the food you eat. Mixing and matching proteins found in the world’s plants, the tiny startup already has created a reasonable facsimile of the chicken egg—an imitation of the morning staple that’s significantly cheaper, safer, and possibly healthier than the real thing—and now it’s working to overhaul other foods in much the same way.
> At the back of the room, spread across the long stainless steel science desks, among the centrifuges, scales, bottles, and beakers, biochemists systematically extract proteins from plants like the Canadian yellow pea to analyze their makeup and behavior. Beside them, food scientists combine these proteins in new ways, mixing them with other natural substances to create something that looks, feels, and tastes like the foods we know today. In the next row over, chefs—including Chris Jones and Ben Roche, recruited from Chicago’s celebrated gastromolecular eatery, Moto—strive to turn these creations into something you could serve to your family: an omelet or some french toast or a chocolate chip cookie.

*** The Secret World Of The Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise Kings ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/09/17/the-secret-world-dunkin-donuts-franchise-kings/pb2UmxauJrZv08wcBig6CO/story.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Neil Swidey, The Boston Globe