[MyAppleMenu] Sep 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 18 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Demoed At WWDC, Epic Zen Garden Is Now Available To Download In The App Store ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/18/demoed-at-wwdc-epic-zen-garden-is-now-available-to-download-in-the-app-store/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple's iPhone 6 Still One License Away From Elusive China Launch ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/18/us-apple-china-iphone-license-idUSKBN0HD0VS20140918>
Gerry Shih and Paul Carsten, Reuters

> The official Xinhua news agency said on Thursday that Apple's new iPhone had been given regulatory approval for use on domestic frequencies, but the phone cannot be sold in China until a key network license is granted. The Xinhua report did not indicate when this is likely to happen.

*** With The iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Aims For Versatility ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/technology/personaltech/review-apple-iphone-6-plus-phablet.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> Typing is much easier on the 6 Plus compared to small phones. When you hold the 6 Plus with two hands in portrait mode — that is, vertically — and type with your thumbs, there’s a perfect fit.

*** iPhone 6 Plus: It's Not An iPad Nano ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/09/iphone-6-plus-its-not-an-ipad-nano.html>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> Then I used the iPhone 6 Plus. And while it will have its fans—in fact, I’ll wager that the iPhone 6 Plus will have rabid fans—it’s just not for me, because I wasn’t seeking a bigger iPhone. I was seeking an iPad nano, and that’s not something the iPhone 6 Plus is willing to be.

There are still very significant differences between iOS on an iPhone and iOS on an iPad.

*** Explaining The New Location Privacy Options In iOS 8 ***
<http://www.cnet.com/how-to/explaining-the-new-location-privacy-options-in-ios-8/>
Jason Cipriani, CNET

> After updating to iOS 8 you're likely to start seeing prompts letting you know certain apps are accessing your location when the app is in the background. This is an expected feature of iOS 8, and nothing you should worry about. These apps aren't suddenly requesting more information about you. Apple is just making you more aware of what apps are monitoring your location.

*** iOS 8 Extensions: How They Work And Why They Matter To You ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/iosapps/ios-8-extensions-how-they-work-and-why-they-matter-to-you-3572656/>
Marco Tabini, Macworld UK

> Simply put, extensions allow iOS apps to "lend" functionality to one another or to the operating system. Apple is allowing developers to create and distribute extensions whose functionality falls in six distinct areas.

*** Locking Down iOS 8: How Apple Is Keeping Your iPhone And iPad Safe! ***
<http://www.imore.com/curious-about-ios-8-security-apples-got-new-white-paper>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** iOS 8: How 5 News Orgs Have Updated Their Apps For Apple’s New Operating System ***
<http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/09/ios-8-how-5-news-orgs-have-updated-their-apps-for-apples-new-operating-system/>
Joseph Lichterman, Nieman Journalism Lab

> Two of those features prominently in many of the updates: increased functionality in Notification Center, which allows for widgets (a long-time feature on Android) and more interactive push notifications, and Handoff, part of Apple’s new Continuity feature that lets users start an action on one Apple device and finish it on another.

*** How The New Wall Street Journal iPad App Is Taking Advantage Of New Features In iOS 8 ***
<http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/09/how-the-new-wsj-ipad-app-is-taking-advantage-of-new-features-in-ios-8/>
Joseph Lichterman, Nieman Journalism Lab

> Today, the Journal is releasing a revamped version of its app, with expanded notifications and continuous reading, a feature that allows users to finish stories in Safari or on their iPhone that they started on the app. It’s a simplified and streamlined experience designed to take advantage of new features in Apple’s iOS 8, which is also being released today.

*** Apple Will No Longer Unlock Most iPhones, iPads For Police, Even With Search Warrants ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html>
Craig Timberg, Washington Post

> Apple once maintained the ability to unlock some content on devices for legally binding police requests but will no longer do so for iOS 8, it said in the new privacy policy.

*** Apple Updates Safari With Search Engine DuckDuckGo As New Option ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-updates-safari-search-engine-duckduckgo-new-option?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Sam Sabri, iMore

*** iMovie For iOS Updated With iOS 8 Support, Video Filters, Clip Speed Settings, And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/imovie-for-ios-updated-with-ios-8-support-video-filters-clip-speed-settings-and-more/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Transmit For iOS 8 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/transmit-for-ios-8-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Transmit is another fantastic example of the kind of innovation that iOS 8 is bringing to the third-party app ecosystem. Thanks to its share extension and document provider, Transmit can effectively be used as an alternative filesystem on iOS with hooks to other apps and cloud services that don’t have native iOS extensions yet.

*** Instapaper 6.0 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/instapaper-6-0-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Version 6.0, available on the App Store, makes Instapaper free, brings changes to the Browse section, adds a Today widget, and includes a sharing extension to save articles from anywhere with two taps and no more bookmarklets

*** You Have To Delete Your Photos Twice In iOS 8 ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/17/you-have-to-delete-your-photos-twice-in-ios-8/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> This is either a great thing -- if you've ever accidentally deleted a precious photo, you know that a safety net would have helped -- or just a needless additional step, if you're the kind who frequently clears out your photo albums and simply doesn't want to do it twice.

*** Apple’s i Prepares For Retirement ***
<http://kensegall.com/2014/09/apples-i-prepares-for-retirement/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> If there is one obstacle in this choosing this path, it’s same thing Steve Jobs mentioned back in 2006. What do we do with the iMac?

*** The iPhone 6 (And 6 Plus) Go To Disneyland ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> Last week I decided to test the most secretive, hotly anticipated smartphones on earth in a place where there was no danger of them being recognized or damaged or both: Disneyland.

*** Tim Cook Interview: The iPhone 6, The Apple Watch, And Remaking A Company's Culture ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-17/tim-cook-interview-the-iphone-6-the-apple-watch-and-being-nice>
Brad Stone And Adam Satariano, Bloomberg Businessweek

*** Apple Seemingly Removing HealthKit Compatible iOS 8 Apps From App Store Due To Issues (U: Apple Statement) ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/apple-seemingly-removing-healthkit-compatible-ios-8-apps-from-app-store-due-to-issues/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has commented on the issue and says the bug that caused HealthKit to be held back is expected to be resolved by the end of the month.

*** Apple TV Updated W/ Beats Music Channel, Refreshed Design, Family Sharing, & iCloud Photos ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/apple-tv-september-2014-update/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** OmniFocus 2 For iPad: Redesigned, Extensions, And Background Sync ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/omnifocus-2-for-ipad-redesigned-extensions-and-background-sync/>
Don Southard, MacStories

*** Early Benchmarks: iPhone 6 Versus Other iPhone Models ***
<http://www.barefeats.com/iph6b.html>
Bare Feats

*** 1Password 5 For iOS 8 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/1password-5-for-ios-8-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The changes introduced by iOS 8 allow 1Password to be a first-class citizen with native integrations that are almost as powerful as 1Password for Mac and <i>dramatically better</i> than what 1Password for iOS used to be. There are some trade-offs with Apple’s approach in iOS 8, but they don’t change the fact that 1Password 5 is the 1Password for iOS I’ve always wanted.

*** iOS 8 Messages: Our Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/ios-8-messages-our-review/>
Alex Guyot, MacStories

> Visual, textual, auditory, and (for lack of a better word) geographical. Messages now spans four mediums of communication, enabling interactions with friends and family to become far more personal and information-rich.

*** Evernote Brings Widget, Share Extension To iOS 8 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/evernote-brings-widget-share-extension-to-ios-8/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Apple Begins Updating Its Apps For iOS 8 Starting With iTunes U, Remote, Logic Remote, Podcasts, & More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/17/apple-begins-updating-its-apps-for-ios-8-starting-with-itunes-u-remote-logic-remote-podcasts/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Opens Touch ID To Third-party Applications With iOS 8 ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/17/apple-opens-touch-id-to-third-party-applications-with-ios-8?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> A handful of compatible apps secured by Touch ID are already available on the App Store, and undoubtedly many more will continue to populate Apple's digital download destination in the days and weeks to come as developers update their software.

*** PCalc Makes Notification Center Into A Calculation Center ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/09/pcalc-makes-notification-center-into-a-calculation-center.html>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

*** Apple Beefs Up Security With 2-Factor Authentication For iCloud Backups ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2684307/apple-beefs-up-security-with-2-factor-authentication-for-icloud-backups.html>
Caitlin McGarry, Macworld

*** Fleksy Flexes Its iOS 8 Muscles As The Keyboard App Arrives For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/09/17/fleksy-flexes-ios-8-muscles-arrives-s-ystem-wide-access-ipad-iphone/>
Paul Sawers, The Next Web

> Fleksy uses what it calls ‘Geometric Intelligence’ to combat sloppy and inaccurate typing, predicting where it thinks you meant to hit on the keyboard based on your typing patterns. This should help users type more quickly – in fact, Fleksy was recently used in a world record-breaking ‘fastest texter’ competition.

*** iOS 8, Thoroughly Reviewed ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-thoroughly-reviewed/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> We're going to give you a thorough rundown of iOS 8's new features today, but the most important thing to know about the software is that you're now in the driver's seat. Well, maybe not quite the driver's seat; there's still quite a bit you can't customize or change. But Apple is definitely letting you reach over and steer the car.
> In this review, we'll be talking mostly about features available to all iOS 8 devices, and to hardware that you already have in your hands right now. Several software features in the new operating system are exclusive to the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and discussion of those features will wait until we review those devices.

*** How To Order Chinese Food ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2014/09/chinese_restaurant_ordering_tips_geography_etymology_and_adventurousness.html>
Boer Deng, Slate

> First, stop thinking of it as “Chinese food.”

*** ‘The Dog’ By Joseph O’Neill ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/09/17/book-review-the-dog-joseph-neill/19Q8hQPlTRWNM8NgNz8kXJ/story.html>
John Freeman, The Boston Globe

> How few novelists have evolved with this freedom and created a morally rigorous environment, one embracing the questions God provokes. What is right or wrong? Will there be an accounting, in the end? It’s why we read so much crime fiction. Can there be virtue without punishment?

*** There Is Nothing More American Than Unlimited Breadsticks ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/emma-brockes-column/2014/sep/18/american-breadsticks-hedge-fund-report-olive-garden>
Emma Brockes, The Guardian

> It mightn’t be authentic Italian, but it is authentic something. American pastoral, perhaps? I couldn’t have had a better time if I’d been eating at Nobu.

*** Why Don’t We Have Pay Toilets In America? ***
<http://www.psmag.com/navigation/business-economics/dont-pay-toilets-america-bathroom-restroom-free-market-90683/>
Aaron Gordon, Pacific Standard

> Forty years ago, thanks to an organization founded by four high school friends, human rights beat out the free market—and now we can all pee for free.

*** How Julia Roberts Became An Icon Playing The Girl Next Door ***
<http://thedissolve.com/features/career-view/752-julia-roberts-weepy-sexless-sweetheart-vs-julie-ro/>
Matt Singer, The Dissolve