[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 17 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** The iPhones 6 ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/the_iphones_6>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> If you simply want a bigger iPhone, get the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. That’s what it feels like: a bigger iPhone.
> If you want something bigger than an iPhone, get the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. It feels more like a new device — a hybrid device class that is bigger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad Mini — than it feels like a bigger iPhone.

*** iPhone 6 Review: Apple's Cure For Android Envy ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/iphone-6-review-apples-cure-for-android-envy-1410915695?tesla=y&ref=/home-page>
Geoffrey A. Fowler, Wall Street Journal

> Apple doesn't get a free pass on any of these promises. But its sleek new hardware sets it up to guide iPhone 6 owners into a new chapter. Instead of looking over at Android phones and wondering what I'm missing, the iPhone once again has my full attention.

*** Reviewed: iPhone 6 Is A Thin, Sexy Phone With A Killer Camera ***
<https://www.yahoo.com/tech/when-apple-unveiled-the-iphone-6-last-week-it-97685451544.html>
David Pogue, Yahoo!

> The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are absolutely terrific phones. They’re fast and powerful and well designed. There’s not a single component that hasn’t been improved. These phones are a delight to behold and to be held.

*** Apple iOS 8 Review: A New Phone Without Buying One ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-ios-8-review-a-new-phone-without-buying-one-1410915709>
Joanna Stern, Wall Street Journal

> Over time, as software developers release apps that talk to each other, to Apple's hardware and to its new health and home software initiatives, the iPhone will have the power to become something much bigger than it already is—no big screen required.

*** SwiftKey For iOS Review: An Android Favorite Comes To iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/swiftkey-ios-review>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> SwiftKey is one of the best selling Android apps of all time for a reason. With the combination of Flow, SwiftKey Cloud, and some of the best on the fly language detection you could ask for, SwiftKey is well positioned to become one of the most popular third party keyboards for iOS as well.

*** iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Review: Bigger Is In Fact Better (In The Right Hands) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2684242/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-review-bigger-is-in-fact-better-in-the-right-hands.html>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> I’ll wager that for most iPhone 5 users, the iPhone 6 will be a solid upgrade, and after a few days of adjustment, they’ll never miss their old iPhones. As for the iPhone 6 Plus, it’s a device that will undoubtedly find its adherents. They might be people who use their iPhones constantly and also need as much battery power as possible, or people with large hands, or people for whom it will be the only computing device they’ll use every day. Samsung and other competitors have showed that there’s an audience for extra-large phones—and that’s now an audience that can buy an iPhone. That’s the whole point.

*** SwiftKey's Systemwide Gesture Keyboard Launching Alongside iOS 8 For Free ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/swiftkey-ios-8/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

> We've had some time to try out SwiftKey for iOS 8 and can say that it works very well. Available in dark and light themes, SwiftKey is accessible systemwide as is typical for these new keyboards under iOS 8, and users can easily switch between keyboards by tapping the globe icon on the keyboard.

*** Apple Watch: Initial Thoughts And Observations ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/apple_watch>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> In short, Apple is taking on the entire hundred-dollar-and-up watch industry at once, with a range of models and prices that span the gamut from $349 to $10,000 or more. They never even mentioned the word “smartwatch” last week, just “watch”, and never once even acknowledged any competition from the tech industry. (Nor does the word “smartwatch” appear anywhere on Apple’s website.) The only comparisons Apple is making are to the traditional watch industry, and their prices are going to reflect that, I believe.

*** iOS 8 Users: Do Not Upgrade To iCloud Drive ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15076?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> But there’s a problem. Actually, there are three problems. Apple hasn’t officially released Yosemite yet, iCloud Drive doesn’t work in 10.9 Mavericks, and upgrading your iCloud account to use iCloud Drive in iOS 8 is a one-way street — once you upgrade, you can’t go back to the old document- and app-specific approach that’s compatible with Mavericks. So when iOS 8 asks you to upgrade to iCloud Drive, tap Not Now.

*** iPhone 6 Vs. 6 Plus: Andy Ihnatko Has One Question For You ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/iphone-6-vs-6-plus-andy-ihnatko-has-one-question-for-you/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> Here, then, are some early thoughts for people considering the 6 Plus, written with the serene authority of someone who’s spent all of one hour noodling around with them in a demo area at the launch event.

*** iOS 8: New Features ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ios-8-features/>
MacRumors

> While our main iOS 8 roundup focuses on the major changes announced by Apple, this iOS 8 roundup highlights some of the more interesting but smaller additions and refinements made to Apple's mobile operating system throughout the beta testing period.

*** Microsoft Builds A Mobile Keyboard For iOS, Android And Windows ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/16/microsoft-builds-a-mobile-keyboard-for-ios-android-and-windows/>
Alex Wilhelm, TechCrunch

*** ‘The Power Broker’ Turns 40: How Robert Caro Wrote A Masterpiece ***
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/16/the-power-broker-turns-40-how-robert-caro-wrote-a-masterpiece.html>
Scott Porch, The Daily Beast

> Forty years ago today, Caro’s magisterial 1,296-page life of New York master builder Robert Moses rewrote the rules of biography.

*** A Pioneer As Elusive As His Particle ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/science/a-discoverer-as-elusive-as-his-particle-.html?_r=0>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times