[MyAppleMenu] Sep 16, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 16 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Windows And OS X Gets Tighter Integration ***
<http://www.itpro.co.uk/virtualisation/23111/parallels-desktop-10-review>
Stuart Andrews, IT Pro

*** Review: PhotoScissors Background Removal Tool For OS X ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/140450/review-photoscissors-background-removal-tool-os-x/>
Charles Moore, TechnologyTell

> TeoreX’s PhotoScissors app for OS X is a smart tool for removing unwanted background elements or clutter from photos with a few mouse gestures. The latest version of PhotoScissors adds feathering control for better smoothness of edges, plus a number of new or enhanced accessibility features.

*** Breach Of Trust ***
<http://bitsplitting.org/2014/09/16/breach-of-trust/>
Daniel Jalkut, Bitsplitting.org

> But even a little move in a direction that threatens the primacy of users is a relatively big move for companies like Twitter or Apple, whose track records have inspired us to trust that we retain more authority over the personalization of these products than perhaps we do.

*** How Apple Promises To Safeguard Your Workout Data ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/15/how-apple-promises-to-safeguard-your-workout-data/>
Hayley Tsukayama, Washington Post

*** Apple Restricting Use Of NFC Antenna In iPhone 6 And 6 Plus To Apple Pay ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/nfc-antenna-iphone-6-apple-pay-only/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

*** How To Prepare Your iPhone Or iPad For iOS 8 ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/09/15/how-to-prepare-your-iphone-or-ipad-for-ios-8/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Be sure your various iDevices and their contents are backed up, and are otherwise prepared for the update.

*** Tim Cook Holds Firm On iMessage Security: It’s Encrypted, And We Don’t Have A Key ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/15/tim-cook-holds-firm-on-imessage-security-its-encrypted-we-dont-have-a-key/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> “We’re not reading your email. We’re not reading your iMessage,” Cook said. “If the government laid a subpoena to get iMessages, we can’t provide it. It’s encrypted and we don’t have a key. And so it’s sort of — the door is closed.”

*** Anger Over Songs Of Innocence ***
<http://www.marco.org/2014/09/16/this-u2-album-really-does-suck>
Marco Arment

> Apple did something inconsiderate, tone-deaf, and kinda creepy for the sake of a relatively unimportant marketing campaign, and they seemingly didn’t think it would be a problem.

*** Mad About U2 ***
<http://venomousporridge.com/post/97609079039/mad-about-u2>
Dan Wineman, Venomous Porridge

> It takes a certain degree of empathy to get that a music collection isn’t the same thing as a Facebook feed, and empathy in marketing decisions at this level is rare. But any company that hopes to gain our trust in mediating intimacy ought to be <i>much</i> better at figuring this stuff out.

Two major mistakes by Apple that I can see: expecting everyone to know what is going on, and expecting personal libraries to be something that Apple can mess with.

*** Two Apple Medical Trials Shed Light On How HealthKit Will Work ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/us-apple-health-idUSKBN0HA0Y720140915>
Christina Farr, Reuters

> Stanford University Hospital doctors said they are working with Apple to let physicians track blood sugar levels for children with diabetes. Duke University is developing a pilot to track blood pressure, weight and other measurements for patients with cancer or heart disease.
> The goal is to improve the accuracy and speed of reporting data, which often is done by phone and fax now. Potentially doctors would be able to warn patients of an impending problem.

*** The Killer App For The Apple Watch Is Chinese ***
<http://aventyret.com/blog/the-killer-app-for-the-apple-watch-is-chinese/>
Stefan Geens, Aventyret

> A touch-sensitive watch face is an ideal size and shape for inputting Chinese logograms — better even than a smartphone, because you can do it continuously, and inconspicuously.

*** Andy Ihnatko Has A Complicated Relationship With The Apple Watch ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/andy-ihnatko-apple-watch/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> This has been bothering me since Tuesday. I was at the iPhone and the iPad launch events and though I left with some questions and concerns, I left San Francisco tingling a little bit. I wasn’t unimpressed by Apple Watch, and my thoughts are overall positive. But it concerns me a little that it’s such an important new product for Apple and that they put so much effort into this event … and I’m still not entirely sure what the Apple Watch is or what role Apple thinks it will perform in people’s lives.

*** Apple Creates Tool For Removing Free U2 Album From iTunes Library After Public Reaction ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/15/apple-creates-tool-for-removing-free-u2-album-from-itunes-library-after-public-reaction/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple says once you remove the free album from your iTunes purchase history and library, you will need to “get it again” if you decide you want it. The U2 album is available for free until October 13th next month when the album will then be available for sale at various retailers.

*** iTunes Festival: Music In Apple's DNA ***
<http://fortune.com/2014/09/13/itunes-festival-music-in-apples-dna/>
Jim Dalrymple, Fortune

*** Multiple iDevices? Multiple iTunes Libraries Are An Answer ***
<http://lowendmac.com/2014/multiple-idevices-multiple-itunes-libraries-are-the-answer/>
Simon Royal, Low End Mac

*** The Vocabulary Of Food ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/dining/dan-jurafsky-a-linguist-decodes-restaurant-menus.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Jennifer Schusessler, New York Times

> People may swoon over colorful expressions and interesting etymologies. And Mr. Jurafsky’s book offers plenty of that, including a chapter tracing the complicated global journey that turned the Fujianese fish sauce known as “ke-tchup” into the familiar American red stuff. But for linguists, the less obviously colorful aspects of our food-talk reveals much about the deeper structures of our language and psychology.

*** What Next For The Burger? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/16/burger-high-end-fast-food-game-ostrich-lamb-beef-pulled-pork>
Thomas Hobbs, The Guardian