[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 15 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Announces Record 4 Million Preorders For iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus In First 24 Hours ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/15/apple-announces-record-4-million-preorders-for-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-in-first-24-hours/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** It’s Official: Microsoft Acquires Mojang And <i>Minecraft</i> For $2.5 Billion ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/its-official-microsoft-acquires-mojang-and-minecraft-for-2-5-billion/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> Microsoft seems to be toeing the same line, saying that it "plan[s] to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC."

*** How To Send Multiple Images From iPhoto For iOS ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2606011/how-to-send-multiple-images-from-iphoto-for-ios.html#tk.twt_mw>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** How To Spill-proof Your Laptop (And How To Fix It If That Fails) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2607275/how-to-spill-proof-your-laptop-and-how-to-fix-it-if-that-fails.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Topher Kessler, Macworld

*** U2's Manager Responds To Backlash: If You Don't Like This Gift, Delete It ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/09/14/u2-itunes-album-backlash-response-guy-oseary/>
Brian Anthony Hernandez, Mashable

> "It’s a gift from Apple," Oseary said. "If someone doesn’t like the gift, they should delete it. ... There are people who are going to be thrilled to get a gift. There are people who are not going to care to have this gift. We knew all of that going in. No surprises here. If someone doesn’t like it, then great, that’s OK, delete it. ... We just want to share it with as many people as possible. If you don’t want it and you don’t need it, delete it."

*** Mobile Operators Abandon Joint 'Wave And Pay' Project As Apple Looms ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11095442/Mobile-operators-abandon-joint-wave-and-pay-project-as-Apple-looms.html>
Christopher Williams, The Telegraph

> A joint venture between mobile operators meant to grab them a slice of the payments industry via smartphone 'wave and pay’ services has been drastically scaled back, just as Apple prepares to move in on the market with the iPhone 6.

*** The Magic In Apple’s Devices? The Heart ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/business/media/the-magic-in-apples-devices-the-heart.html?_r=0>
David Carr, New York Times

> Other companies will have to continue to endure skeptical and sometimes damaging coverage. But in its careful manufacture of hype and expectation, Apple has the goods on our operating system, and pushes our buttons as often as we push theirs.

*** How You’ll Buy A Big Mac With Your iPhone At A McDonald’s Drive-Through ***
<http://recode.net/2014/09/14/how-youll-buy-a-big-mac-with-your-iphone-at-a-mcdonalds-drive-through/>
Jason Del Ray, Re/code

> Customers who want to use their new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus to pay will have to tell the drive-through cashier that they are paying with their phone. The cashier will then extend a portable payment terminal out toward the driver’s-side window. The driver then can place their finger on the phone’s fingerprint ID sensor, and tap or wave their phone in front of the payment device just outside their window.

*** Guy Oseary On U2's $100 Million Deal With Apple, And What's Next For The Group ***
<http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/6251364/exclusive-guy-oseary-on-u2s-100-million-deal-with-apple>
Andrew Hampp, Billboard

*** Why Apple Pay Could Succeed Where Others Have Had Underwhelming Results ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/why-apple-pay-could-succeed-where-others-have-had-underwhelming-results/>
Megan Geuss, Ars Technica

> Not because Apple is a huge and influential company, but because the timing is right.

*** The Power Of Your Writing ***
<https://medium.com/@wynlim/the-power-of-your-writing-c235ee82e603>
Winnie Lim, Medium

> Why you should write even if you think nobody is reading.

*** Reboot Or Die Trying ***
<http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/media/Reboot-or-Die-Trying.html>
David Roberts, OutsideOnline.com

> From my perspective, that time involved a dazzling variety of activities: reading, blogging, gossiping, shopping, listening to music, watching movies. But from Huck’s perspective, I only ever did one thing: sit on my computer. Maybe he had a point.

*** How To Be Both By Ali Smith Review – Playful, Tender, Unforgettable ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/13/how-to-be-both-ali-smith-review-novel?CMP=twt_gu>
Laura Miller, The Guardian