[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** TripList 4.0 Packs Sub-item Support, Syncing Tweaks And Other Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/triplist-4-0-packs-sub-item-support-syncing-tweaks-and-other-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple CEO Says Company Won't Be Going After Facebook, Twitter ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ceo-says-wont-be-going-after-facebook-twitter/#ftag=CAD590a51e>
Ian Sherr, CNET

> "We're not in the social-networking business," Cook said in his interview, adding that he considers the two services to be partners rather than competitors. "We like both companies."

*** Why Is The <i>New York Times</i> Diagramless Crossword So Coy? ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/09/13/new_york_times_diagramless_crosswords_why_the_first_square_across_is_given.html>
L.V. Anderson, Slate

> The answer, I recently learned from a colleague who constructs crossword puzzles, is that advanced puzzlers do the diagramless without knowing the location of the first letter of 1 Across. If the clue were given with the puzzle, it would spoil part of the challenge for these highly skilled puzzlers.

*** Belles & Whistles: Five Journeys Through Time On Britain's Trains – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/12/belles-and-whistles-five-journeys-through-time-on-britains-trains-andrew-martin-review>
Kathryn Hughes, The Guardian

> More specifically, he was born in York to a father who worked at the head office of the London & North Eastern. Lulled to sleep by the clanking wagons in Dringhouses marshalling yard, he later learned snooker from the drivers who congregated in the Railway Institute. Best of all, as a manager's son, Martin got a first-class travel pass, which means that he grew up thinking of the British rail network as his own personal train set. He once went to Aberdeen for the day just because he could.

*** ‘The Paying Guests’ By Sarah Waters ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/09/13/book-review-the-paying-guests-sarah-waters/K7dDWBRqALkETdEX58CW9L/story.html>
Rebecca Steinitz, The Boston Globe

> Because the new Sarah Waters novel, which finds the author at the height of her powers, weaves her characteristic threads of historical melodrama, lesbian romance, class tension, and sinister doings into a fabric of fictional delight that alternately has the reader flipping pages as quickly as possible, to find out what happens next, and hesitating to turn the page, for fear of what will happen next.

*** A Thousand Words For Death ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/13/a-thousand-words-for-death-lexicon-dying-david-crystal>
David Crystal, The Guardian

> A remarkable creativity surrounds the vocabulary of death. The words and expressions range from the solemn and dignified to the jocular and mischievous, and they reflect the changing ways we have thought about life and death over the centuries.

*** We’re All Nerds Now ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/sunday-review/were-all-nerds-now.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1>
Noam Cohen, New York Times