[MyAppleMenu] Sep 13, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 13 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** RIP: The Apple iPod, 2001-2014 ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-rip-the-apple-ipod-20012014-20140911-column.html>
Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times

> I loved my iPods, every single one of them, and when I tell my grandchildren about the old days when a music player only played music, and had a black-and-white screen and yet was as thick as a deck of cards (or as Jobs said in 2001, as "tiny" as a deck of cards), there will be a tear in my eye. Godspeed.

*** Facebook Messenger Found To Be Tracking 'A Lot More Data Than You Think' ***
<http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/09/facebook-messenger-found-to-be-tracking-a-lot-more-data-than-you-think.html?utm_content=bufferf501e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Lauren O'Neil, CBC

> "Messenger appears to have more spyware type code in it than I've seen in products intended specifically for enterprise surveillance," tweeted Jonathan Zdziarski, a noted author and expert in iOS related digital forensics and security on Tuesday.

*** Want Amazing To-do Lists? Try Any.DO ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/13/want-amazing-to-do-lists-try-any-do/>
David Alves, TUAW

*** Tim Cook’s iPhone Moment, Andy Ihnatko’s Fitness Moment And Other Apple Milestones ***
<http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/tim-cook-andy-ihnatko-apple-watch/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> So you see the pickle that all of us are in, right? Huge tech companies don’t know how a smart watch should behave, consumers don’t know why they might be useful, and columnists like me don’t know how to advise their readers when a new one eats its way out of John Hurt’s chest.
> I’m writing this column on my flight home from the Apple launch event. Flight attendants have just pushed the beverage cart past my aisle. I know instinctively that there isn’t enough gin on that thing to solve this problem.

*** On Death And iPods: A Requiem ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/09/rip-ipod/>
Mat Honan, Wired

> In all likelihood we’re not just seeing the death of the iPod Classic, but the death of the dedicated portable music player. Now it’s all phones and apps. Everything is a camera. The single-use device is gone—and with it, the very notion of cool that it once carried. The iPhone is about as subversive as a bag of potato chips, and music doesn’t define anyone anymore.
> I miss the time when we were still defined by our music. When our music was still our music. I miss being younger, with a head full of subversive ideas; white cables snaking down my neck, stolen songs in my pocket. There will never be an app for that.

*** The Apple Watch Will Make Everyone Around You Just A Little Worse Off ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/09/12/apple_watch_it_creates_negative_externalities.html>
Felix Salmon, Slate

> You know exactly what I’m talking about if you’ve ever found yourself in a movie theater with someone texting in the row in front of you. It doesn’t matter if they’ve set their phone to silent: that glowing screen is incredibly annoying to everybody nearby. A glowing Apple Watch will be just as annoying, and I doubt that theaters will be particularly successful in asking patrons to turn off their watches for the duration of a film or a play.

Be kind to others when watching a movie in a cinema: take off your Apple Watch and hide it somewhere.

*** The Mystery Of Apple Watch’s Battery Life ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/the-mystery-of-apple-watchs-battery-life/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Mr. Cook’s response was swift:
> “I don’t think we skipped over it. I addressed it in the presentation myself. We think that based on our experience of wearing these that the usage of them will be really significant throughout the day. So we think you’ll want to charge them every night, similar to what a lot of people do with their phone.”

Apple may well be still tweaking the battery life on the Apple Watch, but it looks like the company is not aiming to have a battery that last more than a single day.

*** Just How Much iPhone Do You Need? The Case For The iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/12/just-how-much-iphone-do-you-need-the-case-for-the-iphone-6-plus/>
Hayley Tsukayama, Washington Post

> Here are four reasons you might consider that big, big screen -- and getting a new wardrobe with bigger pockets along with it -- plus, a few caveats.

Better reading, watching, filming, and typing.

*** Do Your Apps Respect Your Privacy? Probably Not, New Report Says ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/11/do-your-apps-respect-your-privacy-probably-not-a-new-report-says/?mod=rss_Technology>
Elizabeth Dwoskin, Wall Street Journal

> Amid widespread consumer anxiety about risks to privacy, here’s some disheartening news: A new report from a prominent intergovernmental group found that mobile apps are failing to provide users with basic privacy protections.

*** Orbital Wars Takes Me Way Back ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/12/orbital-wars-takes-me-way-back/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Shades of Space Invaders from my lost youth and many lost quarters: Orbital Wars (US$0.99) really did bring back memories of those many hours I spent in front of an arcade console and some of my home video consoles playing that classic game and fighting off endless hordes of aliens descending on my hapless spaceship.

*** Tim Cook Speaks On Steve Jobs, Apple's Interest In TV, And Beats Acquisition In New Interview ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/tim-cook-charlie-rose/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Cook again comments on Steve Jobs' ongoing influence at Apple, saying Jobs is in his heart and deep in Apple's DNA. "His spirit will always be the foundation of the company," says Cook. Cook also gives one other interesting tidbit about Jobs -- his fourth floor office has remained untouched since his passing.

*** 'We're Sorry:' Apple Experiences Numerous iPhone 6 Preorder Problems From Crushing Demand ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/12/were-sorry-apple-experiences-numerous-iphone-6-preorder-problems-from-crushing-demand?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> Apple's issues connecting with carrier partners overnight led the company to give temporary reservation numbers to affected customers. Those people began receiving emails on Friday notifying them that they have 24 hours to complete their order, or they will lose their place in line for their purchase.

*** Larger iPhone 6 Plus Sells Out, “Record Number” Of iPhone Pre-orders ***
<http://recode.net/2014/09/12/larger-iphone-6-plus-sells-out-amid-strong-demand-for-apples-latest-crop/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> Demand for the new iPhones is higher than that seen in either of the past two years, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel told Re/code.
> In particular, Apple and all the major carriers appear to have sold through their preorder allotments of the larger iPhone 6 Plus with all quoting longer ship times for that model.

*** Apple Says New iOS 8 SMS Continuity Feature Won’t Arrive Until October ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/12/apple-says-new-ios-8-sms-continuity-feature-wont-arrive-until-october/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Banks Did It Apple’s Way In Payments By Mobile ***
<http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/banks-did-it-apples-way-in-payments-by-mobile/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0>
Nathaniel Popper, New York Times

> JPMorgan Chase’s chief financial officer, Marianne Lake, took the stage at a financial conference on Tuesday under strict orders not to mention her company’s involvement in Apple’s new payment system.
> But when Apple’s chief executive, Timothy D. Cook, at a news conference in California at the same time, finally brought up Apple Pay, one of Ms. Lake’s deputies in New York took a green apple out of her bag and put it on a table on the stage, signaling that Ms. Lake was free to discuss the service.
> “So we are very excited about Apple Pay, and Chase customers will be able to participate in that,” Ms. Lake said, noting the appearance of the apple with a nod of her head.

*** Home Bread Master Samuel Fromartz Learns By Doing — And Writing ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/home-bread-master-samuel-fromartz-learns-by-doing--and-writing/2014/09/08/6448497e-32eb-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html>
Tim Carman, Washington Post

> To a trained observer, Samuel Fromartz looks fully at ease as he shapes the pain de campagne loaves while waiting for a final baguette to brown in his home oven on Capitol Hill. But at one point, the veteran journalist pipes up to say he’s feeling out of sorts. This is not how he’s used to baking bread.

*** Michael Dirda Reviews ‘The Paying Guests,’ By Sarah Waters ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/michael-dirda-reviews-the-paying-guests-by-sarah-waters/2014/09/10/811596ac-351f-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html>
Michael Dirda, Washington Post

> Some novels are so good, so gripping or shattering that they leave you uncertain whether you should have ever started them. You open “The Paying Guests” and immediately surrender to the smooth assuredness of Sarah Waters’s silken prose. Nothing jars. You relax. You turn more pages. You start turning them faster. Before long, you resemble Coleridge’s Wedding-Guest: You cannot choose but read. The book has you in thrall. You will follow Waters and her story anywhere. Yet when that story ends, you find yourself emotionally sucked dry, as much stunned as exhilarated by the power of art.

*** Footnote In Mouth ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/09/12/footnote-mouth/kWs1L2xZWlRdm5pCI4rbIN/story.html>
Alex Beam, The Boston Globe