[MyAppleMenu] Sep 6, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 6 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Business People Now Have A Handy Way To Read E-mail On Their Mobile Devices ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/business-people-now-have-a-handy-way-to-read-e-mail-on-their-mobile-devices/2014/09/04/01c91a18-32f9-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html?wprss=rss_technology>
Hayley Tsukayama, Washington Post

> The app has several features that seem built for business people, including options to search for e-mails by date range and whether they have an attachment. It also links e-mail to users’ calendars, contacts and social networks (with permission) to make it easy to set up meetings or do research on the people you’re seeing in your next meeting.

*** Marc Newson To Join Apple’s Design Team ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/09/marc-newson-apple-jony-ive?mbid=social_twitter>
Kia Makarechi, Vanity Fair

> Designer Marc Newson is joining Apple as part of senior vice president of design Jonathan Ive’s team, the company told VF Daily on Friday.
> Newson, who will continue to be based in the United Kingdom, will be an employee of Apple, and will be frequently traveling to the company’s Cupertino, California, headquarters. The industrial designer has had his work archived by MoMA, and has been commissioned by Ford, Nike, and Qantas Airways, among others.

*** Apple CEO, Other Execs Hit With Shareholder Suit Over Ebook Conspiracy ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/09/05/apple-ceo-other-execs-hit-with-shareholder-suit-over-ebook-conspiracy/>
Jeff John Roberts, GigaOM

> According to a complaint filed on Thursday in California state court, Cook and other senior Apple figures bear “responsibility for ensnaring Apple in a multi-year anticompetitive scheme” that resulted in a highly-publicized trial and a proposed $450 million payout by the company to settle related complaints that it illegally raised the price of ebooks.

*** Apple, Google Appeal Rejection Of $325 Million Hiring Settlement ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/05/us-apple-google-lawsuit-idUSKBN0H00AZ20140905>
Dan Levine, Reuters

> Four technology companies including Apple and Google blasted a U.S. judge for rejecting a proposed $324.5 million settlement over hiring practices in Silicon Valley and asked an appeals court to intervene, according to a court filing.
> Koh "committed clear legal error" and "impermissibly substituted the court's assessment of the value of the case for that of the parties who have been litigating the case for more than three years," they wrote.

*** Apple Updates iTunes Connect Design, Rolls Out TestFlight App ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-updates-itunes-connect-design-rolls-out-testflight-app/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Screenshot FX Review: Take Precise Screenshots On Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2599026/screenshot-fx-review-take-precise-screenshots-on-your-mac.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_macgems>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> When taking screenshots, selecting oddly shaped items in an image is usually a task saved for your favorite image editing application. Screenshot FX makes selecting a specific area of an image something you can do right as you take a screenshot.

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Re-download Audiobooks, Watch Netflix Offline, And More ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2601927/ask-the-itunes-guy-re-download-audiobooks-watch-netflix-offline-and-more.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> I’ve been getting lots of questions about lossless music files recently, and in this week’s column I answer another one. I also remind you that you can’t re-download audiobooks purchased from the iTunes Store, show how you can find songs that aren’t in any playlists, and look at a question about offline storage of Netflix videos.

*** Food For Thought ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/09/05/food-for-thought/>
Sadie Stein, The Paris Review

> When you’re traveling, you understand what you really need, or want, or find comforting—what you can do without and what’s essential. In my case, traveling illuminates an addiction to cookbooks.

*** Outlook: Gloomy ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/humans-are-wired-for-negativity-for-good-or-ill/>
Jacob Burak, Aeon

> Humans are wired for bad news, angry faces and sad memories. Is this negativity bias useful or something to overcome?

*** Hour Of The Wolf ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/books/review/hold-the-dark-by-william-giraldi.html?ref=books>
John Wilwol, New York Times

> “Hold the Dark” is an unnerving and intimate portrayal of nature gone awry. It forces us to confront a menacing otherness that lies beyond the typical order of things. It’s all but bereft of levity, spectacularly violent and exquisitely written. If dust jackets were more than paper and ink, this one would bear blood and frost.

*** ‘One Night In Winter,’ By Simon Sebag Montefiore ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/one-night-in-winter-by-simon-sebag-montefiore/2014/09/04/36ad89d4-1810-11e4-85b6-c1451e622637_story.html>
Marcela Valdes, Washington Post