[MyAppleMenu] Sep 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 5 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How I Hacked My Own iCloud Account, For Just $200 ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/09/04/i-hacked-my-own-icloud-account/>
Christina Warren, Mashable

> For just $200, and a little bit of luck, I was able to successfully crack my own iCloud password and use EPPB to download my entire iCloud backup from my iPhone. For $400, I could have successfully pulled in my iCloud data without a password and with less than 60 seconds of access to a Mac or Windows computer where I was logged into iCloud.

*** Automatic App Review: For $99, The Truth About Your Car And Your Driving ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2600357/automatic-app-review-for-99-the-truth-about-your-car-and-your-driving.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
R. Matthew Ward, Macworld

> The Automatic Link dongle plugs into your car's OBD-II port (all U.S. cars from model year 1996 onward have one) and transmits data to your phone via Bluetooth. Combined with location stats, all this data allows the Automatic app to monitor your driving style and fuel efficiency, log trips, check engine health, remember where you parked, and even notify loved ones in case of accidents.

*** Tim Cook Says Apple To Add Security Alerts For iCloud Users ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/tim-cook-says-apple-to-add-security-alerts-for-icloud-users-1409880977>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> In his first interview on the subject, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said celebrities' iCloud accounts were compromised when hackers correctly answered security questions to obtain their passwords, or when they were victimized by a phishing scam to obtain user IDs and passwords.
> To make such leaks less likely, Mr. Cook said Apple will alert users via email and push notifications when someone tries to change an account password, restore iCloud data to a new device, or when a device logs into an account for the first time.

*** Apple Store App Redesigned, Gains Upcoming Events Feature, Synchronized Shopping ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/04/apple-store-app-redesigned-gains-upcoming-events-feature-synchronized-shopping/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Will Live Stream Sept. 9 Event ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/09/04/apple-will-live-stream-sept-9-event/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

*** News Notifications Review: Add RSS Feeds To OS X's Notification Center ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2489092/news-notifications-review-add-rss-feeds-to-os-xs-notification-center.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_macgems>
Andrew Hayward, Macworld

> For the Mac user who has no need for social sharing features or the ability to carry his/her reading history over to other computers or an iPhone or iPad, this single-minded reader should do the trick.

*** Ready, Aim, Bounce! Sega's Peggle-like Super Monkey Ball Bounce Is Out Now On iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/09/ready-aim-bounce-segas-peggle-like-super-monkey-ball-bounce-is-out-now-on-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Enable OS X's Enhanced Dictation For On-the-fly Transcription ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2601862/enable-os-xs-enhanced-dictation-for-on-the-fly-transcription.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Were We Happier In The Stone Age? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/05/were-we-happier-in-the-stone-age>
Yval Noah Harari, The Guardian

> Are humans better suited to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle?

*** So Bill Gates Has This Idea For A History Class . . . ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/magazine/so-bill-gates-has-this-idea-for-a-history-class.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Andrew Ross Sorkin, New York Times

> “We didn’t know when the last time was that somebody introduced a new course into high school,” Gates told me. “How does one go about it? What did the guy who liked biology — who did he call and say, ‘Hey, we should have biology in high school?’ It was pretty uncharted territory. But it was pretty cool.”

*** Joan Rivers: An Epic, And Epically Funny, Life ***
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/04/joan-rivers-queen-of-comedy-dies.html>
Tim Teeman, The Daily Beast

> A whirlwind vector of outrage and hilarity, Joan Rivers was an old-school trouper, at her happiest performing and puncturing the inflated egos of Hollywood.

*** The Classical Cloud ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/08/classical-cloud>
Alex Ross, New Yorker