[MyAppleMenu] Sep 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 4 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Automate Your Mac: Ten Ways To Speed Up iTunes, Safari, And More ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2601325/automate-your-mac-ten-ways-to-speed-up-itunes-safari-and-more.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Katie Floyd, Dan Frakes, Matt Gemmell, Topher Kessler, Joe Kissell, Kirk McElhearn, and Brett Terpstra, Macworld

*** Rdio Refreshes Web And Mobile Apps To Highlight Its Free Music Offering ***
<http://www.imore.com/rdio-refreshes-web-mobile-apps-better-highlight-free-radio>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

*** Security Trade-Offs ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/security_tradeoffs>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> It is thus, in my opinion, terribly irresponsible to advise people to blindly not trust Apple (or Google, or Dropbox, or Microsoft, etc.) with “any of your data” without emphasizing, clearly and adamantly, that by only storing their data on-device, they greatly increase the risk of losing everything.

*** The Terminal ***
<http://furbo.org/2014/09/03/the-terminal/>
Craig Hockenberry, Furbo.org

> I’ve been using the Unix command line since 1983 and like most software developers, the Terminal app is a permanent fixture in my Dock. Over the years I’ve learned a lot of things that make working in this environment more productive, but even old dogs like me are constantly learning new tricks.

*** Document Writer Review: A Cheap Alternative To Microsoft Word ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2597558/document-writer-review-a-cheap-alternative-to-microsoft-word.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

> It’s not going to rival the full product of Microsoft Word, but it’s certainly a step up from Open Office and even may get some defectors from Google Docs.

*** The Perils Of A Book Critic ***
<http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/books/non_fiction/article1451486.ece?shareToken=13de45f284b42ed87eab37ae6666052e>
Nick Hornby, The Sunday Times

> And this is one of the strange things about life as a junior book critic (I was more than 30, but I was definitely a junior): you spend all your life reading, but you can never take part in a conversation about books with your friends. They want to talk about the new Julian Barnes, Ian McEwan or Margaret Atwood; you haven’t got round to any of them, because nobody gives you the big books to review, and you’ve been ploughing through a 500-page first novel that shows only intermittent promise and that your friends will never embark upon, partly because you are about to tell them, in print, not to bother.

*** So You Want To Be A Food Writer ***
<https://medium.com/@ozerskytv/so-you-want-to-be-a-food-writer-cf7f3aa71cb2>
Josh Ozersky, Medium

> There is a certain kind of food writer, whose work is a labor of love. Their kitchen is the heart of their home, and their work consists of telling of the glories of good cookery. This is not the kind of food writer I am talking about.

*** How A Typewriter Helped Me Find My Voice ***
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tyler-knott-gregson/how-a-typewriter-helped-m_b_5754850.html>
Tyler Knott Gregson, The Huffington Post