[MyAppleMenu] Sep 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 3 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Discovering Sunrise ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/discovering-sunrise/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** VMware Fusion For Mac Now Connects To Virtual Machines In Data Centers ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/vmware-fusion-for-mac-now-connects-to-virtual-machines-in-data-centers/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> VMware today released the seventh version of Fusion, its virtualization software for Macs, with a new feature that lets users access virtual machines running in remote data centers.

*** How To Not Back Up Your Naked Selfies To The Cloud ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/09/02/jennifer_lawrence_nude_photos_hack_how_to_turn_off_icloud_backup_for_your.html>
Will Oremus, Slate

> What I am saying is that we should all think twice before allowing any service to back up our photos to the cloud automatically on an ongoing basis. Once you’ve allowed that, it’s very easy to forget that you’ve done it, and upload something you’d really rather keep private. Auto-backup is a one-size-fits-all solution, and not all data is created equal.

*** Automate Your Mac: Three Hacks For Managing Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2601323/automate-your-mac-three-hacks-for-managing-apps.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, David Sparks, and Brett Terpstra, Macworld

*** Apple Sets Developer Rules For HealthKit, HomeKit, TestFlight, And Extensions Ahead Of iOS 8 Launch ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/02/apple-sets-rules-for-developers-using-healthkit-homekit-testflight-and-extensions-ahead-of-ios-8-launch/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> In addition to those four new sections, Apple has also updated the guidelines to say that “if your app is plain creepy, it may not be accepted.”

*** BioShock For iOS Review: Not Spliced Up Enough ***
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/bioshock-ios,review-2328.html#xtor=RSS-100>
Chris Hulton, Tom's Guide

> Unlike the console and PC versions, however, the iOS version of BioShock suffers from a poor control setup and weak visuals, drastically affecting the user's experience. We don't recommend it.

*** Apple Announces $10K Product Integrity Inclusion And Diversity Scholarship For Minorities In Tech ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/02/apple-offers-10k-product-integrity-inclusion-and-diversity-scholarship-for-minorities-in-tech/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Continuing a number of recent initiatives related to promoting diversity at the company, Apple is now offering a new Product Integrity Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship offering “women, black/African American, Hispanic, or Native American university students” an opportunity to win a $10,000 scholarship to help pay for their education in tech. The scholarship is named for Apple’s Product Integrity group that includes Hardware Reliability, Product Safety, Environmental Technologies, and Hardware and Software Test Engineering.

*** Apple Denies iCloud/Find My iPhone Breach, Says ‘Very Targeted Attack’ Hit Certain Celebrities ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/02/apple-confirms-very-targeted-attack-on-celebrities-denies-icloud-breach/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple is presenting this as a very targeted username, password, and security questions hack on “certain celebrity accounts.” Apple recommends that users utilize the 2-step verification service for Apple IDs/iCloud.

*** Microsoft Office Apps For iPad Gain Support For Monthly Subscription Purchases ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/02/microsoft-monthly-subscriptions-added/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Microsoft today updated its Word, Excel, and PowerPoint iPad apps to allow users to purchase a monthly subscription to Office 365 directly in the apps.

*** Be Fruitful ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article09021402.aspx>
Jason Wilson, The Smart Set

> During late summers, I become almost fruitarian. Sometimes, nearing the dinner hour, I suddenly realize that the only things I’ve eaten all day have been fresh melon, berries, nectarines, and plums.

*** With Storms Outside, Inner Conflicts Swirl ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/books/in-ben-lerners-1004-new-york-is-a-character.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> In “10:04,” he’s written a striking and important novel of New York City, partly because he’s so cognizant of both past and present. He’s a walker in the city in conscious league with Walt Whitman, but also with writers up through Teju Cole, whose protagonists are wide-awake flâneurs.

*** You Are Not Late ***
<https://medium.com/message/you-are-not-late-b3d76f963142>
Kevin Kelly, Medium