[MyAppleMenu] Oct 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 24 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Tim Cook Talks Apple Pay, Apple Watch And Security On Final Day In China ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/24/tim-cook-china-2/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Marvel Unlimited For iOS Updated With New Features For Improved Reading Experience ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/marvel-unlimited-for-ios-updated-with-new-features-for-improved-reading-experience>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple’s Porn Policy ***
<https://medium.com/@carlsmith/apples-porn-policy-27d5ef1c86ab>
Carl Smith, Medium

> It turns out Apple thought the best way to tell us our app could be used to surf porn was to surf for porn using our app. Then send us some pictures and say take a look at these! Except they said, “Please see the attached screenshot for more information.” So with no warning…

*** Hangouts Takes Socializing On The iPhone 6 To A New Level ***
<http://www.iphoneinformer.com/18729-hangouts-takes-socializing-on-the-iphone-6-to-a-new-level/>
IPhone Informer

*** Troubleshoot iCloud Photo Library: How To Sync Images From Your Computer Or iPhoto ***
<http://www.imore.com/troubleshoot-icloud-photo-library-sync-images-from-iphoto?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Serenity Caldwell, iMore

> Apple has long had trouble balancing its iCloud sync service with manual iTunes syncing, to no one's surprise. Sync is hard, and when you offer users multiple ways to put data on their devices, something's bound to get borked in the process. iCloud Photo Library is no exception—the service isn't on the Mac yet, which means that if you want to use it on your iOS devices, it'll effectively wall off your iPhoto library from your mobile lifestyle. But we've got a few tricks to get those iPhoto images back onto your iPhone or iPad.

*** How To Turn Off Find My iPhone Remotely And Bypass Activation Lock ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-turn-off-find-my-iphone-remotely-and-bypass-activation-lock?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> While it's a great theft deterrent, it can create a problem if you sell or get rid of a device before disabling Find My iPhone First. Most commonly the problem comes up with second hand iPhones that have been bought, sold, or traded. Luckily, the previous owner can deactivate Find My iPhone remotely which should then, in turn, allow you to bypass Activation Lock.

*** Apple Expands TestFlight iOS App Beta Invitations To 1,000 Users ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/23/apple-expands-testflight-ios-app-beta-invitations-to-1000-users>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

*** Apple, GT Advanced Technologies In Agreement On Sapphire Materials ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-gt-advanced-technologies-in-agreement-on-sapphire-materials-1414076912>
Peg Brickley and Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> In a statement from an Apple spokeswoman, the company said, “Apple put a lot of effort into an ambitious new sapphire-manufacturing process with GTAT which is not ready for production. We’re going to continue evaluating GTAT’s progress on larger sapphire boule development, as well as consider other options for the facility. We remain committed to the city and we’re going to work with Mesa and Maricopa County to help the GT Advanced employees who will be impacted by this find new jobs.”

*** Security Update 2014-005 (Mountain Lion And Mavericks) ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15162?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The Security Update patches the so-called POODLE vulnerability that could enable an attacker to decrypt data protected by SSL. Plus, the security update includes the contents of OS X Bash Update 1.0, bringing the Bash patches to everyone.

*** Nuzzel Uses Your Social Network To Find News ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/nuzzel-uses-your-social-network-to-find-news/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> What Nuzzel does well is sort and filter and group the links in interesting ways, and present them as nicely formatted news-story items—not as tweets. The filtering makes a big difference. I can, for instance, see all links from the past four hours that have been recommended by two or more friends. This has a tendency to float the most interesting stuff to the very top.

*** Nuzzel For iPad ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/nuzzel-for-ipad/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> You can use Nuzzel to catch up on Twitter links after a few days of absence, or you can read like I’ve been reading – as a daily summary and regular afternoon check-in.

*** Tumblr For iOS Updated With New Video Player, Two-factor Authentication And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/tumblr-for-ios-updated-with-new-video-player-two-factor-authentication-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Social Media Scheduler Buffer Goes Big With iOS 8 Update Optimized For iPads ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2837796/social-media-scheduler-buffer-goes-big-with-ios-8-update-optimized-for-ipads.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Caitlin McGarry, Macworld

*** Sex And The Theater: An Actress Bares All About Onstage nudity ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/sex-and-the-theater-an-actress-bares-all-about-onstage-nudity/2014/10/23/356da91a-4a73-11e4-b72e-d60a9229cc10_story.html?wprss=rss_magazine>
Rachel Manteuffel, Washington Post

> Women’s bodies are almost never a punchline the way men’s can be. For better or worse, there is a cultural seriousness to female nudity. And when women act sexy, at best they are <i>setups</i> for punchlines: Meg Ryan’s extended fauxgasm in “When Harry Met Sally” wasn’t the joke; it was the tension-building prelude . “I’ll have what she’s having” was the joke.

*** Using ‘Literally’ Metaphorically Is Literally Spreading Like Wildfire ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/oct/24/mind-your-language-literally?utm_content=bufferfbbfa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Adam Lewis, The Guardian

> Mark Twain, F Scott Fitzgerald and James Joyce all did it. (HW Fowler disapproved.) Should ‘literally’ be used to mean its opposite?

*** The City Where Grown-Ups Live ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/10/why_the_mundane_activities_of_adult_new_yorkers_in_ghostbusters_and_the.single.html>
Elliott Kalan, Slate

> My childhood fantasies of New York involved eating takeout Chinese food after a grueling day at the office.

*** When Island Nations Drown, Who Owns Their Seas? ***
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/10/18/when-island-nations-drown-who-owns-their-seas/hyH9W5b1mCAyTVgwlFh7qO/story.html?Src=longreads&utm_content=buffer4f5a0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Latif Nasser, Boston Globe