[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 23 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Welcome Wi-Fi Changes Under Yosemite’s Hood ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15158?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> Wi-Fi is a mature part of OS X, but Apple likes to tinker, and OS X 10.10 Yosemite brings a tinkling cascade of tiny changes, from new information and a new way to display data in the Wi-Fi menu to removing the last vestiges of the long outdated and completely broken WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption protocol.
> With iOS 8.1 installed, Yosemite also adds a nifty way to activate Personal Hotspot from your Mac instead of your phone.

*** Apple To Open 25 Stores In China Within The Next Two Years ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-open-25-stores-china-within-next-two-years?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

*** 24 Hours With Pixelmator For iPad ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/24-hours-with-pixelmator-for-ipad/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Apple To Drop SSL 3.0 Support For Push Notifications On Oct. 29 Due To POODLE Vulnerability ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/22/apple-to-drop-ssl-30-support-for-push-notifications-on-oct-29-due-to-poodle-vulnerability?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
AppleInsider

> Apple will be switching off SSL 3.0 support in favor of the more secure transport layer security (TSL) protocol on Wednesday, Oct. 29, noting developers will have to build in support by that time to ensure uninterrupted push notification service continues.

*** How To Use Apple Pay ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15185?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Retina iMac Review: The Screen That Makes Desktops Relevant Again ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/retina-imac-review-the-screen-that-makes-desktops-relevant-again-1413908996?mobile=y&mobile=y>
Geoffrey A. Fowler, Wall Street Journal

> No other form of computer lets you so comfortably peer for hours at a time into a big, immersive window on your digital world. The new iMac is the best, clearest window on your digital world that you can buy.

*** Apple Strengthens Pull Of Its Orbit With Each Device ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/technology/personaltech/devices-with-yosemite-and-ios-8-operating-systems-seamlessly-connect-in-apples-ecosystem.html?referrer=>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> We are now beginning to see the fruits of Mr. Cook’s vision of a tightly integrated Apple. Over the last few months, Apple has introduced a series of devices that work best as part of an integrated lineup. Apple is no longer making lonely individual products. Its phones, tablets, computers and the mobile and desktop operating systems that run them are blending into a single, inseparable whole.
> The minute you use one of them, the more sense it makes to begin using several others. And the more of Apple’s stuff you use, the better your experience becomes.

*** Apple Encouraging Chrome And Firefox Users To Try Safari After Installing Yosemite ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/22/apple-encouraging-safari-downloads/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> After upgrading to Yosemite, Apple is sending popups that read "Try the new Safari. Fast, energy efficient, and with a beautiful new design."

Didn't Apple warn developers not to misuse the notification system with ads?

*** BBEdit 11 Arrives ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/bbedit-11-arrives/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> BBEdit 11 includes a modernized CSS dialog box system that retires some of the oldest code remaining in the app. The syntax coloring internals have been changed, which leads to a much-improved set of color schemes.

*** Apple Pay Is Double Charging Some Customers ***
<http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/22/technology/mobile/apple-pay-double-charge/index.html>
Samuel Burke, CNN

> Bank of America transferred me to Apple Pay customer support. The only problem: Apple's representative reminded me that for security's sake -- as promised -- Apple keeps no records of names or amounts for any of the transactions.
> That meant there's nothing Apple could do, the representative told me. So Apple told me to call Bank of America. It was every consumer's worst nightmare: customer service for two companies telling you to call the other.

*** Twitter’s Audacious Plan To Infiltrate All Your Apps ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/10/twitter-fabric-sdk/>
Mat Honan, Wired

> But the bigger story is what Fabric represents. Because it isn’t just a tool for developers any more than Greek horses were meant to beautify Troy. Fabric is the foundation for Twitter to transform a business based purely on a single product—tweets!—into a diversified service aimed at every person and company that makes mobile apps. That, in turn, would affect every person who uses mobile apps. In other words, everyone.
> If Twitter succeeds with this plan, it won’t matter whether or not you use Twitter the product. You will end up using Twitter the company every time you use your phone—even if you’re not aware of it.

*** How To Install Java In OS X Yosemite ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/21/get-java-os-x-yosemite/>
OS X Daily

*** Moriarty By Anthony Horowitz – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/22/moriarty-anthony-horowitz-review-authorised-sherlock-holmes-novel>
Laura Miller, The Guardian