[MyAppleMenu] Oct 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** iPad Air 2 Review: The Best Tablet Needs To Work Harder ***
<http://m.wsj.com/articles/ipad-air-2-review-the-best-tablet-needs-to-work-harder-1413939662?mobile=y&mobile=y>
Joanna Stern, Wall Street Journal

> Apple ’s newest tablet, which goes on sale this week starting at $499, remains true to Jobs’s tablet ideals. It’s the best tablet you can buy—especially if you want to read headlines on the morning commute, watch “Frozen” in the back seat and create intricate “Minecraft” metropolises after dark. If you’ve been waiting to replace an older iPad, now’s the time.
> But as I hold the thin piece of glass that would have been unimaginable five years ago, I look over at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and feel like I am missing something. How this iPad stacks up depends entirely on where you plan to take it—and what you want to do with it.

*** Yosemite + iOS 8.1: What Photographers Need To Know ***
<http://austinmann.com/trek/yosemite-ios-81-for-the-photographer>
Austin Mann

> Apple’s sharing all kinds of software updates with us these days, and a few of them are especially exciting for power user iPhone photographers. Here are my thoughts on how the new features affect how we create and share images with our iPhones.

*** Tim Cook Talks Security With Chinese Vice Premiere ***
<http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-talks-security-chinese-vice-premiere?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Apple CEO Tim Cook has met with Chinese Vice Premier Ma Kai to talk security of user information. The meeting comes two days after an attack on the iCloud website in China was reported.

*** Olloclip Debuts New Lens Accessory For iPhone 6 And 6 Plus ***
<http://www.imore.com/olloclip-debuts-new-lens-accessory-iphone-6-and-6-plus?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> The new olloclip features fisheye, wide-angle, and two macro lenses, one at 10x, and one at 15x.

*** Maps Connect: Apple’s Tool For Small Businesses To List On Apple Maps ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/maps-connect-apples-tool-for-small-businesses-to-list-on-apple-maps/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

*** Eddy Cue Right About “A Lot Of Work To Do” As Apple Pay Glitches Emerge ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/22/eddy-cue-right-about-a-lot-of-work-to-do-as-apple-pay-glitches-emerge/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> While early Apple Pay experiences appear to have been mostly positive, Eddy Cue’s admission that there is still “a lot of work left to do” has been demonstrated in a number of glitches in the system – some of them resulting in multiple payments being taken for the same transaction …

*** Review: Photoshop Elements 13 Gets Photomerge And Content-aware Fill ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2837074/review-photoshop-elements-13-gets-photomerge-and-content-aware-fill.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Lesa Snider, Macworld

> Elements 13 isn’t the most feature-packed upgrade ever, but it’s now Retina display-happy and it’s got some timely new stuff for beginners: creating a personalized Facebook Cover image, crop suggestions, variations on Quick mode’s effects, a new selection refinement tool, three Guided Edits for converting photos to black and white, plus tutorials that are more easily discoverable.

*** FotoSwipe Makes Sharing Photos Between iPhone And Android Devices Incredibly Easy ***
<http://www.imore.com/fotoswipe-makes-sharing-photos-between-ios-and-android-devices-incredibly-easy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
James Falconer, iMore

> FotoSwipe lets you share photos by swiping your finger from one device to the other (both devices must have FotoSwipe installed).

*** Best Apps With Apple Pay Support: Tap Away Bills ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-apps-apple-pay-support-tap-away-checks?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Simon Sage, iMore

*** Early iPad Air 2 Benchmark Suggests Tri-core CPU, 2GB Of RAM ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/early-ipad-air-2-benchmark-suggests-tri-core-cpu-2gb-of-ram/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> A test from Primate Labs' Geekbench Results Browser sheds an interesting light on the subject, though: the result in question shows a three-core processor with 2GB of RAM, double the memory of any previous iOS device. Assuming the scores are accurate, the A8X could outdo the A7 in some tasks by as much as 66 percent.

*** Escape From Microsoft Word ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/oct/21/escape-microsoft-word/>
Edward Mendelson, The New York Review Of Books

> When I work in Word, for all its luxuriant menus and dazzling prowess, I can’t escape a faint sense of having entered a closed, rule-bound society. When I write in WordPerfect, with all its scruffy, low-tech simplicity, the world seems more open, a place where endings can’t be predicted, where freedom might be real.

*** The iPad Air 2 (And A Few Cursory Words Regarding The iPad Mini 3) ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/10/ipad_air_2>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> It’s not so much that Apple has complicated the iPad lineup, as that they’ve expanded it downward into lower price points.

I disagree. People don't allocate money into individual piles for iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. The complicated question that people will ask is this: should I spend less money on an iPad, so that I can have more money to buy a better MacBook / iPhone / restaurant meal, or vice versa? And, that question is complicated to answer.

*** Http://www.pcworld.com/article/2836812/complaints-mount-about-yosemite-crippling-wifi.html ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2836812/complaints-mount-about-yosemite-crippling-wifi.html>
Juan Carlos Perez, PCWorld

> Complaints that Mac OS X Yosemite disrupts or entirely disables Wi-Fi have been flowing into social media sites and discussion forums since the release of the OS last Thursday, but Apple has yet to acknowledge there’s a problem.

*** Apple iPad Air 2 Review: It’s Better, But Is It Better Enough? ***
<http://recode.net/2014/10/21/review-apples-ipad-air-2-is-better-but-is-it-better-enough/>
Walt Mossberg, Re/code

> That leaves future-proofing as the main reason to get an iPad Air 2. Its faster processing and graphics capability are likely to make it better than the original Air, as more apps are built that try to bring advanced gaming, or heavy-duty video editing, to the tablet.

*** WhoSampled (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470553,00.asp>
Jeffrey L. Wilson, PC Magazine

> Pandora, Songza, and other iPhone music apps boast of their ability to introduce listeners to new tunes by using secret-sauce algorithms or community input, but few of them can match WhoSampled's music-discovery chops.

*** The Upgrade Gap: Apple's New iOS Problem In One Chart ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/the-upgrade-gap-apples-new-ios-problem-in-one-chart/381714/>
Robinson Meyer, The Atlantic

> If most users have switched to upgrading their phone over the air—and most, this chart hints, have—and if Apple continues to make phones with so little storage by default, then it will see its previously pristine upgrade rates plunge, and the nature of its products change.

*** IPad Air 2 And Mini 3 Review: One Thumb Up, And Another Down ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/technology/personaltech/ipad-air-2-and-mini-3-review-one-thumb-up-and-another-down.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> Let’s get this out of the way first: Apple’s new iPads are the best tablets on the market today.
> So these are fantastic tablets. The question is: Do you need a fantastic tablet?

*** Apple Pay: Seamless In Stores, But Quirky Online ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/22/technology/personaltech/shopping-with-apple-pay-seamless-in-stores-but-quirky-online.html>
Molly Wood, New York Times

> Uber initially let me request a car without signing in, but the app made me sign in after the car had been requested and then asked for an email and phone number. The multiple steps caused Apple Pay to authorize three separate payments of the Uber base fare.

*** Apple’s iCloud Service Is Under Attack In Mainland China ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/apples-icloud-service-under-attack-in-mainland-china-1413895202>
Wall Street Journal

> Apple said in a statement on its website that it is aware of “intermittent organized network attacks” aimed at obtaining user information from iCloud.com. Apple said the attacks don’t compromise the company’s iCloud servers and don’t affect iCloud sign-in on Apple devices running its iOS mobile software or Macs running OS X Yosemite using its Safari browser.

*** Apple Pay Works In Australia ***
<https://beaugil.es/2014/10/apple-pay-works-in-australia/>
Beau Giles

> If you do have a card from a participating bank that was issued in the US however, it works just fine for purchases in Australia.Anywhere you see MasterCard’s PayPass, Visa’s payWave or American Express’ ExpressPay (or simply, the contactless logo) – you can use Apple Pay.

*** The Nine Lives Of “Saturday Night Live” ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/nine-lives-saturday-night-live?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter>
Ian Crouch, New Yorker

> Each time that “S.N.L.” brings in a new cast, or suffers a drop in the ratings, or else detaches from the zeitgeist, we forget all of the changes that have allowed it to stay on the air for forty seasons.

*** Speed Kills: Fast Is Never Fast Enough ***
<http://m.chronicle.com/article/Speed-Kills/149401/>
Mark C. Taylor, The Chronicle Of Higher Education