[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 21 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** 17 Things You Can Do In OS X Yosemite That You Couldn't Do In Mavericks ***
<http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/10/17-things-you-can-do-in-os-x-yosemite-that-you-couldnt-do-in-mavericks/>
David Nield, Gizmodo UK

> Here are 17 new things you can do with the software, from hiding the traces of your Web browsing to recording screen activity on an iPad.

*** Weebly (For iPad) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470597,00.asp>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

> Weebly is PCMag's Editors' Choice for easy website building, and also provides Web hosting services. So how good is the Weebly iPad app (free) at letting you build and edit your site? I'll compare it with not only its Web-based sibling, but also with the Jimdo iPad app—the sole competitor as we wait for apps from DudaOne, Squarespace, and Wix. The short version: The app is impressive, but suffers from a few serious limitations.

*** Woman's Dream Job At Apple Factory Lasts One Day ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/21/womans-dream-job-apple-factory-lasts-one-day/17653499/>
Parker Leavitt, The Arizona Republic

> The people at GT Advanced Technologies were so nice, as was the massive building where the company was to manufacture ultra-hard sapphire glass for Apple products like iPhones. The huge corridors were clean, and the cafeteria looked tasty. Employees seemed genuinely happy.
> For the 66-year-old working widow, the dream lasted just 8.5 hours.

*** Realmac Debuts RapidWeaver 6 With All-new Design And Features, Drops Mac App Store Version For Now ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/21/rapidweaver-6/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> Realmac Software’s popular website development tool RapidWeaver has been updated to version 6 today. The upgrade introduces many new features and enhancements to the app, including a completely redesigned interface for OS X Yosemite. The new update also adds improved publishing that’s much faster than the previous version and a new addon manager for keeping track of your installed plugins.

*** China Denies Backing iCloud Hack ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29704371>
BBC

> Hua Chunying, a spokeswoman for China's foreign ministry, told journalists the government was "resolutely opposed" to hacking.
> China Telecom, the country's state-owned internet provider, also said the accusation was "untrue and unfounded".

*** Apple Pay: The Real-World Test ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/10/21/apple-pay-test/>
Pete Pachal, Mashable

> We decided to check out how Apple Pay works in the real world by adding cards from various banks and using it at a few retailers and services in New York City. The result: it's definitely more convenient than a credit card, but there's room for improvement.

*** New Gold Rush: Why Banks Are Racing To Be The First Card In Your Apple Pay ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/20/7013795/apple-pay-banks-default-card>
Ben Popper, The Verge

> Apple Pay will work with multiple credit, debit, and reward cards if you load them into Passbook. But as our hands-on video demonstrated, most of the time people will probably be relying on the default card, avoiding the hassle of unlocking the phone and tapping around in Passbook.

*** Mac Mini Teardowns Are Underway, With Good News And Bad News ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/21/mac-mini-teardown/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** IBM's First Enterprise Apps For iPad To Launch Next Month As iPad Reaches 90 Percent Tablet Share In U.S Education ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/21/ibms-first-enterprise-apps-for-ipad-to-launch-next-month-as-ipad-reaches-90-percent-tablet-share-in-us-education?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

*** Low End Theory: Apple Could Do Better To Price Its Products More Evenly ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2834761/low-end-theory-apple-could-do-better-to-price-its-products-more-evenly.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
John Moltz, Macworld

> The problem is not so much that the low-end devices are underpowered. If Apple wanted to offer very cheap low-end machines, that would be fine. The problem is the huge gap between the low-end and the midrange. This seems like a gimmick to me, a trick designed to allow Apple to tout a low entry-level price and then drive everyone to buy the midrange device.

*** IMDb For iOS Updated With Technical Details, Box Office Data And More Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/imdb-for-ios-updated-with-technical-details-box-office-data-and-more-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Facebook Updates Paper App For iPhone 6 And 6 Plus, Fixes Issues ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/20/facebook-updates-paper-app-for-iphone-6-and-6-plus-fixes-issues/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** As Apple Pay Arrives, Witnessing The Next Step In Money. Maybe. ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/21/technology/as-apple-pay-arrives-witnessing-the-next-step-in-money-maybe.html?referrer=&_r=0>
Mike Isaac, New York Times

> Large tech and telecom companies like Google, Verizon and AT&T have tried for years to replace the traditional wallet with smartphone apps, having a click here or swipe there replace a credit card or dollar bills at the register. But commerce experts say they believe that the involvement of Apple, which helped revolutionize the mobile industry, could be the impetus that moves mainstream consumers to digital payments — the latest in an evolution of the way people buy goods and services.

*** Tim Cook, In His Own Words, On The iPad’s Future ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/10/20/cook-ipad>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Ends up, no, the iPad isn’t the iPhone, and in a broader sense, the tablet market isn’t like the phone market. It’s more like the PC market.

*** This Is Tim: Apple’s CEO Answers The Analysts ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/this-is-tim-apples-ceo-answers-the-analysts/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

*** Apple Will Closely Guard Apple Watch Sales Numbers In New Reporting Method ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-will-closely-guard-apple-watch-sales-numbers-new-reporting-method?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> Starting the first quarter of its 2015 fiscal year, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the company may not break out sales figures for the Apple Watch. By not disclosing exact sales numbers for Apple's nascent smartwatch, a typically secretive Apple would hope to gain a competitive advantage over competitors. Apple would employ a new way of reporting sales and earnings for its Apple Watch by categorizing it into a category marked "other" along with a few other products.

*** Examining iTunes 12’S New Interface ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15171?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Flat is the word for iTunes 12 (officially version 12.0.1 at launch), which is in some ways a radical reinterpretation of Apple’s digital bouillabaisse of media player/organizer, online store, and device synchronization hub. While there aren’t any groundbreaking new features, Apple has shifted around (or pared down) many interface elements. In the end, the essence of what remains retains familiarity with previous versions of iTunes, and there are some welcome tweaks that actually help to streamline the app.

*** Http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/10/mac-os-x-yosemite-reportedly-leaks-location-search-data/ ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/10/mac-os-x-yosemite-reportedly-leaks-location-search-data/>
Robert Lemos, Ars Technica

> "For Spotlight Suggestions we minimize the amount of information sent to Apple. Apple doesn't retain IP addresses from users’ devices. Spotlight blurs the location on the device so it never sends an exact location to Apple. Spotlight doesn't use a persistent identifier, so a user's search history can't be created by Apple or anyone else. Apple devices only use a temporary anonymous session ID for a 15-minute period before the ID is discarded."
> "We also worked closely with Microsoft to protect our users' privacy. Apple forwards only commonly searched terms and only city-level location information to Bing. Microsoft does not store search queries or receive users' IP addresses."

*** How To: View Your Music Videos In iTunes 12 ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-view-your-music-videos-in-itunes-12/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> To see them, select the Music library, then click Playlists, to show the iTunes Playlists sidebar.

*** iPads Fall For Third Consecutive Quarter, iPhones And Macs Boost Apple’s Q4  ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/ipads-fall-for-third-consecutive-quarter-iphones-and-macs-boost-apples-q4/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Apple has just released the data for the fourth quarter of its fiscal 2014, and the story is the same as it's been for most of the year: iPhone sales are up, iPad sales are down-to-flat, Mac sales are up a little and continue to beat the growth rate of the wider PC market, and iPods have fallen off a cliff. Apple's fourth quarter runs from the beginning of July to the end of September, so it includes the new iPhone launch but not the new iPads and Macs announced last week.

*** Apple Will Require iOS 8 SDK And 64-Bit Support In iOS Apps Starting February 2015 ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-will-require-ios-8-sdk-and-64-bit-support-ios-apps-starting-february-2015?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

> Writing against iOS' most current SDK is nothing new, as the company made similar demands for the iOS 7 SDK. What is new, however, is the requirement for 64-bit support.

*** Local Man Uses Apple Pay To Buy Grocieries ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/local-man-uses-apple-pay-to-buy-grocieries/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> I pulled the iPhone 6 out of my pocket and before I could even move it closer to the payment terminal—newly festooned with a Now Accepting Apple Pay tag—Apple Pay appeared on my phone and asked me to verify my purchase via Touch ID.

*** An Updated List Of The Merchants And Apps That Accept Apple Pay ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/an-updated-list-of-the-merchants-and-apps-that-accept-apple-pay>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

*** Apple Store App For iPhone And iPad Updated With Apple Pay Support ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/20/apple-store-app-for-iphone-and-ipad-updated-with-apple-pay-support/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Alongside iOS 8.1, Apple has released a new version of its Apple Store app just in time for Apple Pay. The new version supports Apple’s new mobile payment service with a dedicated “Buy with Apple Pay” button available at checkout.

*** Apple Releases iOS 8.1 – Here’s What’s New ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-releases-ios-8-1-heres-whats-new/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** New 2014 Mac Mini Models Ship With Soldered, Non-user Upgradeable RAM ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/20/new-2014-mac-mini-models-ship-with-soldered-non-user-upgradeabl/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Sex, Memoir, And The Real Lena Dunham ***
<http://www.themillions.com/2014/10/who-is-the-real-lena-dunham.html>
Brooke Hauser, The Millions

> As Dunham continues her book tour, I hope someone raises the question that Helen’s cousin asked her all those years ago. <i>Do you believe everything you wrote</i>?
> Who knows how she would answer . .  . But no one can accuse her of not talking about how lonely it can be.

*** The Grand Illusion ***
<http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/time/grand-illusion#>
Jim Holt, Lapham's Quarterly