[MyAppleMenu] Oct 20, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 20 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** iFixit Teardown Of iMac With 5K Retina Display Reveals Hardware Similar To 2013 iMac ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/20/ifixit-teardown-of-imac-with-5k-retina-display-reveals-hardware/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> While the 2014 iMac has a stunning new display, most internal components are similar to previous Apple Mac hardware. The SSD is the same drive that ships with Apple's late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro, while the AirPort/Bluetooth card, logic board and other components are described as being "nearly exactly the same" to last year's 27-inch iMac.

*** Editor's Desk: In Defense Of iPad Photography ***
<http://www.imore.com/defense-ipad-photography?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> But if we shift our focus from technology and objects to people and achievements, if we consider those who are preserving their priceless memories where they couldn't have before, the ones taking connected photography to places never before possible, that's when prejudice and preconception can be conquered.

*** Please Don’t Make Us Use iCloud Anymore ***
<http://mosx.tumblr.com/post/100420300476/please-dont-make-us-use-icloud-anymore>
MOSX Tumblelog

> I beg every developer who reads this. Please don’t make us use iCloud anymore.

*** Setting Up OS X Yosemite The Way You Want It ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/article/2835570/setting-up-os-x-yosemite-the-way-you-want-it.html>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

> Apple's OS X Yosemite has dozens of new features and plenty of tricks to keep Mac users busy, but getting your system working just the way you want it to may take a few tweaks.

So many settings in the System Preferences.

*** Late 2014 Mac Mini Benchmarks Indicate Decreased Multi-Core Performance ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/19/mac-mini-2014-benchmark/>
Husain Sumra, MacRumors

> The newly refreshed Mac mini is seeing improved single-core performance over the previous models, but decreased multi-core performance, according to a newly released GeekBench benchmark.

*** Apple's iCloud Targeted In Man-in-the-middle Attack In China ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2835995/apples-icloud-targeted-in-maninthemiddle-attack-in-china.html>
Michael Kan, PCWorld

> Following the iPhone 6 launch in China, Apple’s iCloud service began facing a “man-in-the-middle” style attack in the country, in an apparent attempt to steal username and password information, according to an anti-censorship watchdog group.

*** Apple Pay Is Too Anonymous For Some Retailers ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-20/apple-pay-is-too-anonymous-for-panera-starbucks-and-other-retailers>
Joshua Brustein, Bloomberg Businessweek

> Apple Pay, with its built-in anonymity, won’t eliminate the need to swipe a loyalty card or give the cashier a phone number. ”Obviously, that’s not where we want to be,” says Blaine Hurst, Panera’s executive vice president for technology and transformation. “Why can’t I just walk up to a cashier with my phone and all that information magically appears?”

*** Carbon Copy Cloner 4.0.2 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15176?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** What’s Coming In Today’s Release Of iOS 8.1 ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/10/20/whats-coming-in-todays-release-of-ios-8-1/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral>
Dave Mark, The Loop

> As detailed earlier today, Apple Pay is the biggest feature in today’s release of iOS 8.1. Along with Apple Pay and a variety of bug fixes, here are three more things you’ll see in iOS 8.1.

Instant hotspot, iCloud Photo Library, and SMS Relay.

*** Shelf Control: My Very Hungry Caterpillar Is A Fun App Based On Eric Carle's Classic Book ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/shelf-control-my-very-hungry-caterpillar-is-a-fun-app-based-on-eric-carles-classic-book>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Spotify Announces New Family Plan For Up To Five Users ***
<http://www.imore.com/spotify-announces-new-family-plan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

> Spotify has today announced a new plan for the entire family. If you've been wanting to have a single billing account for the household but keep individual playlists, it's now possible for up to five family members to share a single Spotify subscription, starting from $14.99 a month.

*** Meet Flic, The iOS Photo Manager For Lazy People ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2835474/meet-flic-the-ios-photo-manager-for-lazy-people.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

> Flic shows you what’s stored in your photo collection, one photo at a time. Swipe left to send a photo to the trash, or swipe right to keep it around. Flic even reminds you to think carefully about each photo, asking, “Does this really look like a Kodak moment to you??”

*** As Apple Pay Launches, Eddy Cue Says “A Lot Of Work To Do,” Predicts Slow Retail Take-up ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/20/apple-pay-launch/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> "We’re trying to do something that I think is a game changer and it requires a lot of people to play together. There’s a lot to do here and we have a lot of work to do, but it should be huge."

*** Research Says Kids Eat Less After Playing Angry Birds ***
<http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/18/6998357/research-diet-video-games-angry-birds>
Owen S. Good, Polygon

*** E.T. Phone Home? ***
<https://github.com/fix-macosx/yosemite-phone-home>
Github

*** Things 2.5 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15175?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Cultured Code has released Things 2.5 with support for OS X Yosemite and a refreshed user interface that includes new icons for the sidebar and preferences, new designs for the toolbar and tag filter bar, and tweaked windows for quick entry and tag management.

*** Coda 2.5 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15174?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> A major new release, Panic has updated its Coda Web site development tool to version 2.5 with a goodly number of new additions and improvements.

Also, no longer available through the Mac App Store.

*** SimCity That I Used To Know ***
<https://medium.com/re-form/simcity-that-i-used-to-know-d5d8c49e3e1d>
Doug Bierend, Medium

> Popularizing a genre of “software toys” that presented players with an interactive, complex world writ little, gamers growing up in the ‘90s may remember a time when any new PC title from Maxis (the company Wright founded with partner Jeff Braun) bearing the prominent ‘SIM’ prefix promised endless hours of play time that wasn’t about winning or losing, but experimentation and discovery. The Sim series also represents a philosophy about design, and the role of play in our learning process.

*** Alan Bean Plus Four ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/alan-bean-plus-four?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter>
Tom Hanks, New Yorker

*** The Yellow Peril: Dr Fu Manchu And The Rise Of Chinaphobia Review – The Factors That Shaped Our Fear Of China ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/20/yellow-peril-fu-manchu-rise-chinaphobia-review-factors-fear-china>
Philip French, The Guardian