[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 19 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** BBM Takes On Snapchat With New Timer And Message Retraction Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/bbm-takes-on-snapchat-with-new-timer-and-message-retraction-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Picks British App Caribu ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/11170713/Apple-picks-British-app-Caribu.html>
Christopher Williams, The Telegraph

> A British app designed to help absent parents read to their children is aiming to capitalise after receiving a coveted endorsement from Apple at the launch of the new iPad.
> Caribu, created by a group of graduates from Imperial College, combines childrens’ e-books with a simple video call system to allow families to read together even if separated by thousands of miles. The pages of the books are interactive so parents can point out pictures or tricky words.

*** Apple Opens Its Doors On Princes Street ***
<http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/apple-opens-its-doors-on-princes-street-1-3576733>
Evening Edinburgh News

*** Apple Configurator 1.7 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15165?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The update brings improvements to iTunes Store authentication, ensures devices are erased before restoring a backup, and adds support for new configuration profile payloads and settings introduced in iOS 8.

*** Apple Has Lost The Plot On Simplicity ***
<http://qz.com/282529/apple-has-lost-the-plot-on-simplicity/>
Dan Formmey, Quartz

> It now offers five different iPad models, in two or three colors each, with two to six different configurations of networking features and storage space. Not to mention their subtle differences in processor, camera, and sensors. The “full comparison chart” is dizzying.

Seriously, nobody is going to tell whether one needs an A5 or A7 or A8 processor.

*** iStat Mini App For OS X Yosemite Allows Users To Monitor Their Mac ***
<http://www.imore.com/istat-mini-app-os-x-yosemite-allows-users-monitor-their-mac?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Are We Free? Neuroscience Gives The Wrong Answer ***
<http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/features/are-we-free>
Daniel Dennett, Prospect

> What people don’t like, apparently, is the idea, borne in on them every day as science marches through their genetics and into their brains, that a person is merely a slub in the fabric of the universe, no more than a complicated and clever bulge amid the threads of causation, rather than a free-wheeling, free-choosing, autonomous, responsible initiator of deeds. How could such a mechanistic consolidation-station be the locus of moral authorship? (Warning bells should ring in the reader’s mind at this point. Note the weaknesses in the previous two sentences: a case of “rathering”—why couldn’t we be both enmeshed in causation and an autonomous chooser?—and a rhetorical question that discourages us from seeking an answer.)

*** Book Review: The Book Of Strange New Things ***
<http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/books/book-review-the-book-of-strange-new-things-1-3576853>
Michel Faber, The Scotsman

> And that’s where I’ll leave it, a novel so full of ideas, so charged by plot, so odd and wonderful, and written with astonishing emotional precision.

*** 'Am I Being Catfished?' An Author Confronts Her Number One Online Critic ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/18/am-i-being-catfished-an-author-confronts-her-number-one-online-critic?CMP=twt_gu>
Kathleen Hale, The Guardian