[MyAppleMenu] Oct 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 25 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Physical Keyboards For The iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15148?rss>
Julio Ojeda-Zapata, TidBITS

> You need the right kind of keyboard: one that’s large enough to type comfortably, but not so big that it’s a pain to carry. It should incorporate or include a stand, be reasonably inexpensive, but be solidly built.

*** Apple Shortens iBooks Review Times, Allows More Promo Codes For Authors ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/24/apple-shortens-ibooks-review-times-allows-more-promo-codes-for-authors/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Distribute() ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/distribute/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Created by Vlambeer (the indie studio behind Apple Design Award winner Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers, and other games), distribute() is a new tool to help game developers keep track of a press list.

*** Mac OS X Yosemite Adoption Slightly Surpassing Mavericks ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470972,00.asp>
David Murphy, PC Magazine

*** AT&T Confirms It Locks iPad’s New Apple SIM Card After Activation ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/24/att-confirms-it-locks-ipads-new-apple-sim-card-after-activation/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> AT&T has confirmed in a statement that the new universal Apple SIM card in iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 becomes locked to the carrier after being activated on its network.

*** Pedometer++ Tracks Your Steps On The Cheap ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15150?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** iFixit Teardown Of iPad Air 2 And iPad Mini 3 Reveals Mystery NFC Chip ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2838792/ipad-air-2-teardown-reveals-mystery-nfc-chip.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jared Newman, Macworld

*** Amazon's Visa Rewards Card Members Can Now Use Apple Pay ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/amazons-visa-rewards-card-members-can-now-use-apple-pay>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

*** iTunes Mini Player In OS X Yosemite ***
<http://chrisltd.com/blog/2014/10/itunes-mini-player-yosemite/>
Chris Johnson

> After clicking on various things in the title bar area, I eventually tried and succeeded with the album artwork.

I'm suspecting iTunes' mini player view will soon be removed.

*** Review: 27-Inch iMac With Retina 5K Display ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/review-27-inch-imac-with-retina-5k-display/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> It’s one of the fastest Macs ever attached to the best Mac display ever. Yes, it’s an iMac, meaning you can’t attach a newer, faster computer to this thing in two or three years. But I have a feeling that these iMacs will have the processor power, and the staying power, to make the aging process much less painful.

*** Bugs & Fixes: Solving A Yosemite Post-install Disaster ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2837811/bugs-and-fixes-solving-a-yosemite-post-install-disaster.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

*** Lucy Worsley’s ‘Art Of The English Murder’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/books/review/lucy-worsleys-art-of-the-english-murder.html?ref=books>
Sara Paretsky, New York Times

*** ‘Ghosts: A Natural History,’ By Roger Clarke ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/books/review/ghosts-a-natural-history-by-roger-clarke.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Patrick McGrath, New York Times

> Close to the end of Roger Clarke’s “Ghosts: A Natural History,” the author mentions “silent phone calls from people who have been buried with their phone in their coffin.” Who are these people? He doesn’t say, but he claims there’s a whole genre of “apparently true” mobile phone ghost stories, including “texts from the dead.” There are even haunted spell-checks. When the name “Prudentia” was highlighted on a document during a 1998 investigation in Britain, the alternative spellings that reportedly came up were “dead,” “buried” and “cellar.” We’re not told if investigators dug up the cellar, and if they did, whether they found Prudentia.

*** Dropbox, Airbnb, And The Fight Over San Francisco’s Public Spaces ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/dropbox-airbnb-fight-san-franciscos-public-spaces?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email#>
Julia Carrie Wong, New Yorker