[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 16 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Businesses Are Turning To Beacons, And It’s Going To Be O.K. ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/technology/personaltech/businesses-are-turning-to-beacons-and-its-going-to-be-ok.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Molly Wood, New York Times

> Beacons, tiny low-powered radio transmitters that send signals to phones just feet away, have quickly become a new front in the advertising industry’s chase to find you whenever, and exactly wherever, you are.

*** Positive Thinking, With A Little Help From Your Phone ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/business/positive-thinking-with-a-little-help-from-your-phone.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Kit Eaton, New York Times

> At dinner with friends recently the conversation turned to things that were stressing us out. Yes, it was one of those moody evenings. But it ended up being upbeat because someone asked the inevitable “I wonder if there’s an app for that” question. And it turns out there are lots of apps to help you think positively or aim at happiness, and we all had fun examining them on our phones.

*** Backblaze Review ***
<http://oleb.net/blog/2014/10/backblaze/>
Ole Begemann

> I’m sticking with Backblaze for now, mainly for its unobtrusiveness and convenience. I still haven’t found the perfect online backup service, however.

*** Hey, You! Worms Developer Team17 Releases New Hay Ewe Puzzle Game For iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/hey-you-worms-developer-team17-releases-new-hay-ewe-puzzle-game-for-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Hay Ewe is a new iOS game that challenges you to help Matilda, the titular female sheep, navigate puzzles in order to collect various items and round up a group of stubborn lambs.

*** Facebook Adds Safety Check Feature To iOS App To Reassure Family & Friends During Disasters ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/16/facebook-safety-check/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple TV Channel For Live Streaming Today's iPad Event Now Available ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/apple-tv-channel-for-live-streaming-todays-ipad-event-now-available>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** ​Apple To Fix Health App After Blood Glucose Measurement Issue ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-to-fix-health-app-after-blood-glucose-measurement-issue/>
Claire Reilly, CNET

> Apple is temporarily pulling a feature of its Health app, designed for tracking blood glucose levels, after it emerged the app was not compatible with standard measurements used in the UK and Australia.

*** Moving To iCloud Drive ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15138?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> Yosemite is almost upon us, and if you are an iCloud user and you upgrade to Yosemite, you won’t be able to avoid iCloud Drive. In most cases, your documents should weather the transition intact, but if you also have an iOS device and you discover that iCloud Drive misbehaves on it in any of your iCloud-enabled apps, do the simplest thing first: sign out of iCloud on the device and then sign back in. This simple act might well brighten up an iCloudy day.

*** Invisible iOS Home Screen Icons ***
<http://david-smith.org/blog/2014/10/15/blank-icon-slots/>
David Smith

> Since getting my iPhone 6 a few weeks ago I’ve been continuously trying to optimize the configuration of my home screen. The larger screen means that I now have an extra row of icons to fit onto the screen, but the physical size of device means that I can’t actually comfortably reach them.
> Since you can’t arbitrarily place icons on your home screen this means the situation is actually worse. I now have to fill in the top row of icons with ‘stuff’ just so that I can easily reach my main icons without stretching.

Reminds me of John Siracusa <a href="http://arstechnica.com/apple/2003/04/finder/">talking about the Finder</a>.

*** Transmit For iOS 8 Provides File Transfer Everywhere ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15122?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> Transmit iOS is a powerhouse tool for anyone who needs to access remote files within iOS apps, and who previously spent inordinate amounts of time moving things around and employing workarounds to access them.

*** ‘iPad Air 2′ And ‘iPad Mini 3′ With Touch ID & Burst Mode Confirmed, Show Up Early In iTunes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/15/ipad-air-2-and-ipad-mini-3-with-touch-id-confirmed-show-up-early-in-itunes/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple’s iTunes Store has just made a little bit of a slip-up (and with perfect uncanny timing): screenshots for the iOS 8.1 iPad user guide have just appeared within iBooks and include Apple’s upcoming iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. Of course, Apple will be formally debuting these devices tomorrow.

Apple will now fine iBook Store for leaking, right?

*** Apple Plans To Stop Selling Fitbit Devices In Stores ***
<http://recode.net/2014/10/15/apple-plans-to-stop-selling-fitbit-devices-from-stores/>
Lauren Goode, Re/code

> It’s unclear exactly why Apple will no longer sell the devices, which track steps and other health metrics, in its retail stores. But the move comes a week after Fitbit issued a statement saying it was still “evaluating integration with HealthKit,” Apple’s new software application that acts as a central repository for health and fitness data on iPhones.

*** Noteshelf 9.0 Features Integration With The Livescribe 3 Handwriting Smart Pen ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/noteshelf-9-0-features-integration-with-the-livescribe-3-handwriting-smart-pen>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** How Apple's "Complete My Bundle" Works ***
<http://lifehacker.com/how-apples-complete-my-bundle-works-1646220888>
Thorin Klosowski, Lifehacker

> It's a bit confusing for sure, but also brings to light to the fact that the "Complete My Bundle" option isn't always a deal, so don't just click on them assuming you're getting a better price.

Dear Apple, "Complete My Bundle" should never be more expensive than buying the remaining apps individually. This will just teach customers not to trust "Complete My Bundle."

*** Apple Paid Local College More Than $1 Million For iPhone Event ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/15/apple-paid-local-college-more-than-1-million-for-iphone-event/>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Apple paid more than $1 million to stage the Sept. 9 event at which it introduced new iPhones and the Apple Watch, according to records obtained from the Foothill-De Anza Community College district. Apple held the Sept. 9 event at the college’s Flint Center for the Performing Arts, about 1 ½ miles from its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs introduced the Macintosh computer at Flint in 1984 and the iMac there in 1998.
> According to the records, the cost included a “disruption fee” to the college of $500,000, rental fees for campus buildings and around-the-clock security involving more than 35 officers from three departments.

*** Finding Poetry In Computers ***
<http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1471103.ece>
Jennifer Howard, The Times Literary Supplement

> Even so, it is fascinating to imagine machines that operate on their own creative terms, working outside the scripts humans write for them and beyond the boundaries of what we now recognize as creativity. I would prefer a future in which computers embrace their artistic side, even if the results are unrecognizable, to the one described in the <i>Terminator</i> films, in which the Singularity produces a malevolent Skynet dedicated to the destruction of humanity. Better to imagine operating systems that would rather leave us behind than wipe us out.

*** ‘The Fall’ By Diogo Mainardi ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/10/15/book-review-the-fall-father-memoir-steps-diogo-mainardi-translated-from-portguese-margaret-tull-costa/94PX629jZWT5Vrco1WOHRK/story.html>
Suzanne Koven, The Boston Globe