[MyAppleMenu] Oct 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 15 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Perk Up: Facebook And Apple Now Pay For Women To Freeze Eggs ***
<http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/perk-facebook-apple-now-pay-women-freeze-eggs-n225011>
Danielle Friedman, NBC News

> Two Silicon Valley giants now offer women a game-changing perk: Apple and Facebook will pay for employees to freeze their eggs.
> Facebook recently began covering egg freezing, and Apple will start in January, spokespeople for the companies told NBC News. The firms appear to be the first major employers to offer this coverage for non-medical reasons.

*** Angry Birds Transformers Rolls Out Worldwide For The iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/angry-birds-transformers-rolls-out-worldwide-iphone-and-ipad?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Getting In Tune: 6 Apps For Tuning Your Guitar ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2826691/getting-in-tune-6-apps-for-tuning-your-guitar.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Office For Mac 2011 Update Patches Critical Vulnerabilities ***
<http://www.imore.com/office-mac-2011-update-patches-critical-vulnerabilities?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

*** Drafts 4 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/drafts-4-review/>
Alex Guyot, MacStories

> Released today on the App Store as a new, iOS 8-only, and Universal app, Drafts 4 is an evolution which boasts a huge number of improvements and represents a much needed shift in direction. With a UI refresh, a smarter and more accessible interface for building actions, a fantastic Share extension, a customizable extended keyboard, an enhanced URL scheme, and the intriguing introduction of JavaScript scripts for text manipulation, Drafts 4 is Agile Tortoise’s statement that they are ready for the challenges of a modern iOS.

*** Macworld Expo Is Dead ***
<http://doamm.com/2014/10/14/macworld-expo-is-dead/>
Shawn King, Diary Of A Mad Man

*** An Unsightly Peek Into Apple Business Practices ***
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gt-advanced-technologies-blames-apple-agreement-for-its-failure/>
Erik Sherman, CBS News

> Apple's NDAs have long been considered among the harshest and most stringent in the tech industry. The company has always been notoriously tight-lipped and controlling of its image and information about strategy and product plans.

*** Apple Asks Court To Seal Objections Against GT Advanced Bankruptcy ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/14/apple-asks-court-to-seal-objections-to-gt-advanced-bankruptcy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

*** Apple Stores Will Sell A Smart Lock For Your Front Door ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-14/apple-stores-will-sell-yves-behars-smart-lock-for-homekit>
Belinda Lanks, Bloomberg Businessweek

> In June, Apple announced HomeKit, its platform for integrating smart gadgets through iOS. If all goes according to Apple’s plan, your iPhone or iPad will become the hub for controlling your personal Internet of Things.
> But for that to happen, the tech giant needs companies to develop home gadgets for its framework, much as it needed apps to build up the App Store. That’s why it will be selling, in all its U.S. stores, a smart lock designed by Yves Béhar and called August.

*** U2's Bono Apologizes For Automatic 'Songs Of Innocence' Album Download ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/14/u2-apologizes-for-auto-downloads/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> In the apology, Bono says that the group "got carried away" with themselves and were worried that songs they had spent two years working on "might not be heard."

*** You Are Apple’s Greatest Security Challenge ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15101?rss>
Rich Mogull, TidBITS

> But the future is in the cloud. And Apple’s future is iCloud, the online glue that holds its entire ecosystem of devices, software, and services together. I spend most of my working hours on cloud security, and it is an indescribably difficult problem that’s only getting worse as our use of these services grows. Apple, like all major cloud providers, now faces the same security issues as banks (cue the Willie Sutton reference about “that’s where the money is”).
> Talk to any bank about security, and they’ll all point to the customer account as the problem.

*** Plants Vs Zombies 2 iPhone And iPad Update Hits The Beach With Lots Of New Content ***
<http://www.imore.com/plants-vs-zombies-2-iphone-ipad-update-hits-beach-lots-new-content?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Remembering Macworld Expo: Why We Went To The Greatest Trade Show On Earth ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2833713/remembering-macworld-expo.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Regrettably, though those running the show tried their best, they simply couldn’t find a way to return the show to its roots—as a gathering place for Apple enthusiasts. Expo had become an Apple event, and when the company left, many exhibitors and attendees left with it. To them, seeing Steve Jobs onstage and pressing their nose to a glass case surrounding a suspended iPhone was what Expo was all about. If you couldn’t breathe Apple’s air, there was no reason to attend.

*** Macworld Expo Is Over ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/macworld-expo-is-over/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> It’s a year of milestones. IDG has announced that it’s putting Macworld/iWorld on hiatus.
> While technically this is a “hiatus,” I think it’s safe to assume that the Macworld Expo as we knew it won’t come back.

*** How The Filthy Rich Live In Rising Asia ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119722/rana-dasguptas-capital-eruption-delhi-review-delhis-1>
Ramachandra Guha, New Republic

> The novelist and critic U. R. Ananthamurthy once said that India lives simultaneously in the twelfth and twenty-first centuries. He might have added: and all the centuries in between.

*** Freedom From Food ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/health/would-we-opt-out-of-food-if-given-the-chance/>
Nicola Twilley, Aeon