[MyAppleMenu] Oct 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 14 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Skype Qik Lets You Replace Text Conversations With Instant Video Messaging ***
<http://www.imore.com/skype-qik-lets-you-replace-text-conversations-instant-video-messaging?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> Microsoft is expanding the number of apps made by its Skype team today with the Skype Qik video messaging app, designed specifically for mobile devices running on iOS, Android and Windows Phone. The app is scheduled to launch today for all three platforms.

*** Review: Music Player Learns Your Tastes Over Time ***
<http://www.timesunion.com/business/technology/article/Review-Music-player-learns-your-tastes-over-time-5819447.php>
Barbara Ortutay, Associated Press

> The idea behind the $399 Aether Cone is that over time, it learns your listening habits and weighs such factors as whether it's a lazy Sunday morning. It then plays what it thinks you're in the mood for.
> I was skeptical because my music tastes vary depending on how I'm feeling at any particular moment. But I've come to enjoy its sometimes-surprising musical tours.

*** Apple iPhone 6 Plus: Beautifully Made, But Expensive [Review] ***
<http://betanews.com/2014/10/14/apple-iphone-6-plus-beautifully-made-but-expensive-review/>
Sandra Vogel, Beta News

*** Arizona Is The Kid Caught In Apple's Big, Ugly Divorce ***
<http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/editorial/2014/10/13/gtat-bankruptcy-apple/17226729/>
Azcentral.com

*** Missing One-handed Typing On Your iPhone 6/Plus? One Handed Keyboard Brings It Back ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/14/one-handed-typing-iphone-6/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> If you love your new iPhone 6/Plus but find yourself missing the convenience of one-handed typing, One Handed Keyboard may be the third-party keyboard for you. It’s a system-wide keyboard exactly the same size as the one on the older and smaller iPhones so everything will feel familiar.

*** Can New Words With Friends Reignite Your Competitive pseudo-Scrabble Addiction? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2825932/can-new-words-with-friends-reignite-your-competitive-pseudo-scrabble-addiction.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Andrew Hayward, Macworld

*** Dropbox Says Its Service Is Safe Following Reports Of 'Massive' Hack ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/dropbox-says-its-service-is-safe-following-reports-of-massive-hack>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> It’s unclear how the account details were obtained. But Dropbox, in a new post on its official blog, said that they were harvested from other services and that its own service was not compromised in the alleged hack.

*** The iPhone 6 Plus Wins The Longer Race ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/12/the-iphone-6-plus-wins-the-longer-race/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

*** Keep Personal Photos Out Of Collections With iOS 8'S "Hide Photo" Feature ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/13/keep-personal-photos-out-of-collections-with-ios-8s-hide-photo/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** Best Weather Apps For iPhone ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-weather-apps-iphone?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Ireland Considers Closing Corporate-Tax Loophole ***
<http://m.wsj.com/article_email/ireland-considers-closing-corporate-tax-loophole-1413139198-lMyQjAxMTA0ODE2MjkxMDI4Wj?mobile=y>
Sam Schechner and Lisa Fleisher, Wall Street Journal

*** The App That Holds iOS Back ***
<http://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/10/13/the-app-that-holds-ios-back>
Bradley Chambers, Chambers Daily

> While Mobile Safari is fast and loads website reasonably well, it cannot upload and download files.

*** How Do We Give Dignity To The Dying? ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29565968>
Adam Gopnik, BBC

> We want to give dying people their dignity. But all too often, we don't know how.

*** It Was Great Having You, Magazines. Let's Just Say Goodbye Now ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/10/12/it-was-great-having-you-magazines-lets-just-say-goodbye-now/>
Laura Hazrad Owen, GigaOM

> Magazines have been an important part of my reading and regular life, but they aren’t like books, where I actually can’t imagine what both my life and the entire course of human history would look like without them. For all of the debates about publishers and Amazon and so on, I don’t believe that books are going away, even in print form. Magazines, on the other hand, are dying a slow death in a corner.

*** Cosmos As Masterpiece: In 'Cosmigraphics,' Our Changing Pictures Of Space Through Time ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/science/space/in-cosmigraphics-our-changing-pictures-of-space-through-time.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Michael Benson, New York Times