[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 13 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple's Supplier Contracts Include $50M Penalty For Leaking Future Product Info ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/13/apples-supplier-contracts-include-50m-penalty-for-leaking-future-product-info?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> Court filings made by GT Advanced Technologies have already revealed that Apple imposes a $50 million penalty "per occurrence" for leaking any information about an upcoming, unannounced product.

*** Apple Rolls Out iPhone 6/Plus To 36 More Countries This Month ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/13/apple-rolls-out-iphone-6plus-to-36-more-countries-this-month/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Http://www.imore.com/dropbox-squashes-desktop-client-bug-offers-free-pro-upgrade-those-who-lost-files?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter ***
<http://www.imore.com/dropbox-squashes-desktop-client-bug-offers-free-pro-upgrade-those-who-lost-files?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

> Those who rely on Dropbox to store their personal files may have lost some of their data. The service has experienced some issues regarding a bug in older versions of its available desktop apps. This bug deleted files uploaded by affected users who activated the Selective Sync feature, leading some to find they'd lost a large amount of files.

*** Grey Market iPhone 6 Prices Plummet In China, As Apple Prepares Official Sales ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2825312/grey-market-iphone-6-prices-plummet-in-china-as-apple-prepares-official-sales.html>
Michael Kan, PCWorld

> In some cases, grey market vendors are offering the models at an even cheaper price than Apple, according to Device Prices.

*** NewsBlur Feed Reader App Now Optimized For iOS 8 And iPhone 6 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/newsblur-feed-reader-app-now-optimized-for-ios-8-and-iphone-6>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Backblaze 3.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15142?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Backblaze 3.0 (which is tied to the subscription-based Backblaze online data backup service) improves the efficiency and throughput of its data storage.

*** GraphicConverter 9.4 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15141?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** Apple Pay Setup Detailed & Retailers Begin Training As Service Launches At Apple HQ ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/12/apple-pay-setup-detailed-retailers-begin-training-as-service-launches-at-apple-hq/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** How Apple Prompted This Country's Downgrade ***
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/102081405>
Matt Clinch, CNBC

> Finland's prime minister suggested on Monday that Apple could be to blame for the demise of its two biggest industries, which in turn led to an economic downturn and a ratings downgrade for the Nordic country.
> "We have two champions which went down," Alexander Stubb told CNBC Monday. As well as the technology firm Nokia, he explained that the paper industry in Finland had fallen on hard times.

Anssi Vanjoki, <a href="http://gizmodo.com/5416781/top-5-assclown-iphone-quotes-in-2007">Nokia</a>, back in 2009: The development of mobile phones will be similar in PCs. Even with the Mac, Apple has attracted much attention at first, but they have still remained a niche manufacturer. That will be in mobile phones as well.

*** How To Capture Audio With A New Mac Pro ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2825252/how-to-capture-audio-with-a-new-mac-pro.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** BBEdit At Max Q ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/bbedit-at-max-q/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> On Saturday Rich Siegel of Bare Bones Software gave a presentation in which he announced that the next version of BBEdit would not be sold in the Mac App Store.
> Siegel crafted his presentation as a list of reasons that <i>weren’t</i> the reason Bare Bones was abandoning the Mac App Store.

*** ‘Ada’s Algorithm’ By James Essinger ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2014/10/12/book-review-ada-algorithm-how-lord-byron-daughter-ada-lovelace-launched-digital-age-james-essinger/dIxClQZr9T17FlR7tlsPAK/story.html>
Jennifer Latson, The Boston Globe

> Throughout history, she has been often overlooked by scholars who refused to consider her contribution to computer science, sometimes dismissing her as a madwoman. Enter James Essinger, whose biography, “Ada’s Algorithm,” seeks to correct the record, paying glowing tribute to the woman he calls “brilliantly prescient.”

*** My Daughter, Myself ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/can-midlife-be-a-time-of-new-generativity/>
Marina Benjamin, Aeon