[MyAppleMenu] Oct 17, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 17 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Everything You Need To Know About iCloud Security ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2835042/everything-you-need-to-know-about-icloud-security.html#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

*** On Yosemite GM 3 Or Public Beta 6 And Wondering How To Update To Final Release? ***
<http://www.imore.com/yosemite-gm-3-or-public-beta-6-and-wondering-how-update-final-release?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Review: With Os X Yosemite, Aqua's All Grown Up ***
<http://www.512pixels.net/blog/2014/10/os-x-yosemite-review>
512 Pixels

> Semantics aside, Yosemite’s UI feels awkward. Parts of it are beautiful, but parts of it are broken. Surely some of the weirdness stems from the sheer number of changes present. Yosemite is a natural evolution from Mavericks and iOS 7 a year ago, but Apple’s hit the fast-forward button. As a result, Yosemite isn’t a refined as it could be.

*** Apple Stops Selling Mac Mini With OS X Server, No Longer Offers 2TB Storage Option ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/16/apple-mac-mini-no-server-option/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** iPhoto And Aperture For Mac Briefly Revived To Receive OS X Yosemite Compatibility Update ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/16/iphoto-for-mac-briefly-revived-to-receive-os-x-yosemite-compatibility-update/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** OS X Yosemite Apps I’ve Been Trying ***
<http://www.macstories.net/roundups/os-x-yosemite-apps-ive-been-trying/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Below, you’ll find a roundup of the third-party Yosemite apps I’ve been testing over the past couple of weeks, which should give you a good idea of the design changes and new functionalities Yosemite is bringing to OS X.

*** Hands On: The New 27-Inch iMac With 5K Retina Display Shows Stunning Detail ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2835007/hands-on-the-new-27-inch-imac-with-5k-retina-display-shows-stunning-detail.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

> In the hands-on area at Apple HQ, I saw the new 27-inch iMac editing 4K video in pixel-for-pixel resolution, with enough room left on the screen for all of Final Cut Pro’s toolbars and controls. Final Cut Pro wasn’t even running full screen—notice the Dock still hogging some space along the bottom. Not bad.

*** Hands-on With The Brand New 5K Retina iMac ***
<http://www.imore.com/hands-brand-new-5k-retina-imac?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Hands-on With The iPad Air 2 ***
<http://www.imore.com/hands-ipad-air-2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Hands- And Eyes-on With The New iPads And The iMac’s Big 5K Display ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/hands-and-eyes-on-with-the-new-ipads-and-the-imacs-big-5k-display/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> The new iMac feels like a bigger update, while the iPads are more evolutionary.

*** iPad Air 2 Hands-on: The Same, But Different ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6986065/ipad-air-2-hands-on-photos-video>
Nilay Patel, The Verge

> It's really, really thin.

*** OS X 10.10 Yosemite: The Ars Technica Review ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

> But at this year’s Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple made several announcements that point in a new direction: iOS and OS X advancing in lockstep, with new technologies that not only appear on both platforms simultaneously but also aim to weave them together.
> These new, shared triumphs run the gamut from traditional frameworks and APIs to cloud services to the very foundation of Apple’s software ecosystem, the programming language itself. Apple’s dramatic leadership restructuring in 2012 put Federighi in charge of both iOS and OS X—a unification of thought that has now, two years later, resulted in a clear unification of action. Even the most ardent Mac fan will admit that iOS 7 was a bigger update than Mavericks. This time around, it’s finally a fair fight.

*** OS X Yosemite Review ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/os-x-yosemite-review/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> Yosemite’s marquee features are probably Continuity and iCloud Drive, and while they can work if you’re exclusively a Mac user, they’re obviously at their best when providing bridges between OS X and iOS. This is a release that’s designed to let the Mac and iOS work better in tandem, but it’s still the same familiar Mac OS you’ve come to know, albeit with a few variations that will feel familiar to iOS users.

*** OS X Yosemite Review: The Mac Cozies Up To The iPhone ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/os-x-yosemite-review-the-mac-cozies-up-to-the-iphone-1413486002>
Joanna Stern, Wall Street Journal

> With the Thursday release of the Mac’s free OS X Yosemite update, Apple is finally getting its devices to behave like a real, happy family—a family that not only talks to each other but even looks very much alike. The Mac operating system has acquired apps and features from iOS—and vice versa—over the past few years, but this is the biggest leap toward each other yet.
> The advantage is so big that if you are an iPhone or iPad owner but don’t have a Mac, Yosemite might get you to consider buying one. It makes living in Apple’s ecosystem harder to resist.

*** Apple Releases Newest Version Of Mac OS, Yosemite, For Download ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/16/apple-releases-newest-mac-os-yosemite-download>
Samuel Gibbs, The Guardian

> Apple released its new operating systems for mobile and desktop computers on Thursday, announcing iOS 8.1 for iPad and iPhone as well as iOS X 10.10 Yosemite.
> On stage in Cupertino, California, Apple chief executive Tim Cook introduced both updates, which will be available for free. Yosemite is available from Thursday, and 8.1 will be available from Monday.

*** New iMac Sports A Brilliant 5K Display And Supercharged Graphics ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/10/new-apple-5k-imacs/>
Tim Moynihan, Wired

> With its new iMacs, Apple has boosted the screen resolution on its 27-inch iMac to 5120×2880 resolution (218ppi). That’s a 5K display—not 4K, but 5K. The new 5K iMac, which only comes in the 27-inch size, is available now starting at $2,500. The first batch of orders should ship within two days.

*** Apple's Mac Mini Finally Updated, Starting Price Dropped By $100 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2834508/apple-updates-mac-mini-still-drops-starting-price-by-100.html>
Mark Hachman, Macworld

> What Apple’s Phil Schiller, senior vice president of worldwide marketing, called the “world’s most energy-efficient desktop” now includes fourth-gen Intel Core processors, in addition to graphics options that include the Intel Iris and HD Graphics 5000 graphics cores. Connectivity has also improved with the addition of 802.11ac Wi-Fi and a pair of Thunderbolt 2 ports.

*** iPad Mini 3: Hands-on With Apple's Latest Little Tablet ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6985925/ipad-mini-3-hands-on-with-apples-latest-little-tablet>
Dieter Bohn, The Verge

> Apple has added TouchID and an alternate gold color option and... not much else. The camera, processor, and everything else inside the device is exactly the same as last year's model. The iPad mini 3 got maybe a grand total of four minutes of stage time at Apple's event today, and it was not demo'd at all.

*** Pixelmator Announces iPad Version Of Its Photo-editing App, Optimized For iPad Air 2 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/16/pixelmator-announces-ipad-version-of-its-photo-editing-app-optimized-for-ipad-air-2/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> As part of the Apple event, Pixelmator has announced an iPad version of its popular Mac image-editor. The app is a near complete representation of the desktop app, with color correction, effects and other edits. Obviously, the app’s UI has been optimized for the iPad with big touch-friendly controls and a pane-less, simplified interface.

*** Apple Introduces iPad Air 2 And iPad Mini 3 ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/technology/new-apple-ipads-mac-computers.html?_r=0>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times